Resizing Images

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by LouTheDesigner, Jan 5, 2009.

to remove all ads.
  1. LouTheDesigner

LouTheDesigner New Member

Hello,

I am currently designing a website for a client that contains lots of images (around 150). I find myself constantly resizing them (for thumbnails, screen real estate, etc.). Anyway, I use photoshop to do this, but is there any other program that can do this easily as well? My client would like to manage this site by herself afterward, and she doesn't own any version of Adobe CS.

Louis

2. adamblan

adamblan New Member

GIMP :D
    <3 Open Source

3. LouTheDesigner

LouTheDesigner New Member

you are 2 for 2 with great responses my friend.

4. flakeparadigm

flakeparadigm New Member

This is definitely the best choice for a free image editor that I have found. And of course, being that it is Open Source makes it even better. :)

5. adamblan

adamblan New Member

I do what I can :p

6. horrorshow75

horrorshow75 New Member

7. PixelPusher

PixelPusher Super Moderator Staff Member

One thing to keep in mind is Adobe PS has an Actions panel that allows you to automate tasks. I bring this up because you said you were resizing 150+ images. Doing that process one at a time could take quite a while. By using the Actions panel in PS you can record the steps you take when resizing your first image and then for the other 149 or so just run the saved action.

Plus, if you have all your images stored in one common location, PS will even open them, perfrom the resize, save them, and close the file. You can get the whole process finished in about 5-10 mins. Gotta love Actions. I am not sure in GIMP has those abilities? Just a thought if your client wants to edit the images after you. There are always free trials available from Adobe, but you are limited to 30 days.

8. horrorshow75

horrorshow75 New Member

Agreed. I looked around on GIMP's site and didn't see anything that said it could batch jobs or not.

That's why I posted teh thumbnail generators since PS isn't free.

But yeah no doubt that PS's batch automation feature is great.

9. wizzpig666

wizzpig666 New Member

Multiple Image Resizer (free download) has worked great for me doing batch resizing.

10. asifinfomist

asifinfomist New Member

Infomist Services

Hi,

You can also do it easily in Mozilla Fireworks.

11. rankb

rankb New Member

or you can use acdsee (it has batch resize, rotate..)

12. netstudio

netstudio New Member

+1 for GIMP; also, VSO Image Resizer (plugs into Vista) has been pretty good....

13. designsatlanta

designsatlanta Banned

You have chosen the good method for resizing the photos and it is the best way.
    Go Ahead......

14. designsatlanta

designsatlanta Banned

You can do that even by using software's. I specially use Gadwin systems software for this purpose.

15. bluefirefox007

bluefirefox007 New Member

Yes. Actually I have use GIMP before. And its a good tool :D

16. munkyeetr

munkyeetr New Member

The best I've found is phatch, which is a python based open source photo batch processor. There is a Windows version according to their website, but I haven't tried it - Go Go Linux! - and you'd need to satisfy a few dependencies (python, wxpython, and pil)

But it is the cat's meow, IMHO.

Thanks,
    Munky

17. LavaEagle

LavaEagle New Member

ACDSee
    Batch File Resizer
    Batch File Renamer
    Batch File Converter
    and it's got a nice browser built in ;)

Believe me i was in the same spot this saved my butt.

18. munkyeetr

munkyeetr New Member

I was a big fan of ACDSee...around version 4! Then I found it started becoming bloated (as with most software these days :mad:) as they were trying to make it do too much.

Sorry, not trying to discount it as an option, but I hadn't heard the name "ACDSee" in years and felt a little nostalgic (for version 4).

19. constanthosting

constanthosting New Member

I use this gallery script to show images of my kids to relatives, and other such things, It will automatically resize images and create thumbnails for you

http://69.73.162.192/galleryscript/gallery.phps

Here is an example of it in action, http://69.73.162.192/images/

You don't have to specifically use it for the gallery part. I've used it a lot of times to resize and create thumbnails for a lot of images.

20. fox

fox New Member