Popularity of Dreamweaver

Almo99

I think that Dreamweaver is far superior to Frontpage too. A new web designer's best bet is to learn Dreamweaver.

ccironny

I've started using dreamweaver and it's pretty nice. I downloaded a video tutorial going over all the key features. It's a pretty easy program to use.

BradT81

People say DW is hard but once you get the hang of it it is really easy. There are many extra features that you probably wont even need to touch.

RenaissanceMan

Dreamweaver's ok...

But a bit bloated, in my opinion. It tries to do everything and to some degree it succeeds, but at the expense of not doing any one thing particularly well.

Nobody who's serious about knowing their stuff uses Design View, because it outputs bloated, table-based layouts. I've used it in Code View and the autocomplete is pretty good, but nothing you wouldn't get in Aptana.

What is handy is the file management, especially since CS4 where they included Subversion integration.

The ability to FTP from within the IDE is also good, but performance doesn't stand up to a dedicated FTP client (my favourite is FileZilla).

For backend stuff I tend to use Netbeans or Zend Studio for Eclipse.

WebDesign

Dreamweaver is good software, if you are going to work with CSS and HTML but if you are thinking to use PHP or ASP.net etc as well then I'd suggest try Eclipse.

nedo

for someone like me, who is not experienced programmer, I believe that Dreamweaver is perfect place to strat learning how to, or even completely build their website.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
dreamweaver v frontpage is a non event.
one produces compliant code - one does not.
its as simple as that for me.
I will never ever again use frontpage. id rather eat my own faeces.

BMA

Banned
The newer versions of Dreamweaver support CSS very well. In fact the design view of CS4 and CS5 forces users into CSS at times when it is not the most efficient avenue. Dreamweaver is so flexible that it will give you fits if you don't learn the basics of html on notepad or Notepad++ first. I'm constantly going into the code to see how Dreamweaver attempted to code my design and fixing Dreamweaver's guesses. I only make about one website per month, so Dreamweaver is very handy, because I would otherwise have a hard time remembering every exact command. If you're making websites daily, you will eventually find that you're more efficient with Notepad++, without the limitations of a WYSIWYG interface. However, to get started or to make websites only periodically, Dreamweaver is a great tool.

I also like that Dreamweaver comes with the best tutorial Adobe has ever made. You can actually learn how to start and complete a project with the tutorial!! I don't think Adobe has ever done that before or since.

covandy

From experience it seems like a lot of older more experienced web developers prefer not to use dreamweaver. I always use it though!

leroy30

Visual studio 2008 and I code it all by hand rather than using the designer. I get much cleaner html this way and it means I can make use of master pages and ASP.net for web applications.

krymson

dreamweaver v frontpage is a non event.
one produces compliant code - one does not.
its as simple as that for me.
I will never ever again use frontpage. id rather eat my own faeces.

ROFL!!!!!:D Too true. First you need to start out in notepad or textwrangler, the upgrade to Dreamweaver. got to www.pixel2life.com they have EVERYTHING there for tuts. Dreamweaver alot of hardcore coders will say its for babies but i like the fact that i can see my design come to life without saving and refreshing the browser every five seconds and then you can set up the layout in code view and fill in the text in desing view and it creates code and everything for you.

peterjames24

Dreamweaver is still one of the most popular web desisn/wysiwyg editors on the commercial market.Through Dreamweaver we can easily make all types of web designs.