Multiple domains with duplicate content - bad for SEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyfox

Hello everyone,

I have what is probably a no brainer question.

The company I work for has three domains, each featuring exactly the same content. For example, mycompanyname.com, mycompanyname.net, mycompanyname.co.uk.

I am of the impression that this is bad for SEO, and that each of the domains, when searched for, should redirect to one of of them only. Eg: '.net' and '.co.uk' both redirect instantly to the '.com' domain.

I asked our hosting provider to change this, however they told me that i would be just as well leaving it as it is, as it has no negative effect on SEO to have duplicate content online.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance!

:D

J

ishie

The answer is NO. There are many site owners out there who spend a lot of time managing duplicate content. Duplicate content penalty is a big SEO fallacy.

WebDesigner500

Duplicate content is normally an issue when the content is spread across different companies. What Google will do is try to determine where the original content is hosted. It will determine this by where the content was first seen by the google bot, and what sites link to what. The original copy of content is normally linked to from the duplicates.
There is no advantage of having duplicate content and will certainly not give you extra traffic from the search engines (and may effect you SEO attempts negatively).

I would recommend picking the most used/most applicable domain, and redirect (301 not 302) the other domains to that one. Make sure you redirect each page to the applicable one on the main site.

bcee

Seems like a mixed opinion here. Does anyone have any proof for either side? I am also under the impression that duplicate content is bad and you should use <link rel="canonical"> for it.

dearali

I would not suggest going with duplicate content, Google has become intelligent enough to identify these kind unethical practices.

GoQuickly

Put it this way:

You create a site that takes the number one spot, then you point multiple domains to the same directories of files - You then rearrange the words on the page, but keep it all the same content.

You easily will find yourself a couple times on that first page.

How is this fair to others? How is this beneficial to the viewers?

OrangeDevDesign

For real, duplicate content is BAD for SEO. PERIOD.

Please as you suggested, redirect all of the domains to 1 domain. This way you will not have duplicate content. You could even get a penalty for this. If that happens, the company will drop like hell in the search results on Google.

So please, change it when you see this.

nedo

Lots of people received penalty for that. Rather make redirect, or use different content on sites.

Jenie0109

Hello everyone,

I have what is probably a no brainer question.

The company I work for has three domains, each featuring exactly the same content. For example, mycompanyname.com, mycompanyname.net, mycompanyname.co.uk.

I am of the impression that this is bad for SEO, and that each of the domains, when searched for, should redirect to one of of them only. Eg: '.net' and '.co.uk' both redirect instantly to the '.com' domain.

I asked our hosting provider to change this, however they told me that i would be just as well leaving it as it is, as it has no negative effect on SEO to have duplicate content online.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance!

:D

J

Why don't try to suggest to the company to rewrite everything to avoid duplicate content.

Status
Not open for further replies.