Misleading Forum

UniqueCreations

I signed up for this forum to learn and help others in regards to web design elements and graphic design applications. After spending about an hour sifting through posts, I have come to the conclusion that as a majority most people are using these forums as an advertising venue. This is fine if it is the site's intent, but albeit a tad misleading. Is it possible to try to keep the advertisements to their own section so that the actual learning capability would improve?

Just a thought.

That being said, has the topic of portal websites come up recently? I am overwhelmed with the amount of crap template made catch all portal sites that are eating up all the good domain names like a virus. If you have one of these sites I would be curious as to the money you make tricking people who should have enough sense not to click your tainted links. I have seen many people fall victim to the schemes of these sites and I wish there was a way to CLEAN the existing WWW and start fresh. Portal sites should have to pay some sort of tax of enormous denominations in order to keep their misleading information floating in cyber space.

desi9ner

I couldn't agree with you more. I visited a lot of forums when I first got into web design and I wanted to give back a little. I'm sure there are a few genuine posts here and there.

I also agree with you on those portal sites, they are extremely annoying. I do have a feeling that things are going to change sooner or later. There is just too much negative feedback out there for them to keep going like that. Who knows?

reggie.van

I'm here for the open forum aspect as well as the advertising, to be honest. It's hard advertising without a budget, how would you suggest people whose jobs depend on leads advertise their service?

UniqueCreations

I am just suggesting that the advertisements stay in their appropriate section. This way those who want to learn, critique, help others and themselves can do so unhindered.

YOXIM

I am just suggesting that the advertisements stay in their appropriate section. This way those who want to learn, critique, help others and themselves can do so unhindered.

If you wanna learn, all you need to do is ask a question. However, you need to take into consideration that a lot of the people that post here and are already working in the field, rely heavily on the fact that others can't do what they can. If I were to go around teaching everyone how to do what I do, I'd be out of business before you know it.

That being said, I will gladly help you out with any questions that you may have, up to a point. I was a member on these forums before, when they were called "webmaster talk forums", and I know from experience that there are, (or at least were), a lot of really cool people posting here who would gladly help you out with any questions that you may have.

As for your comment about portal sites, I hate those too. Probably moreso than you, because those portal sites are robbing my clients of potentially good domain names. I've had several cases where the domain name my client wanted was grabbed up by a BS portal site. It's not a pleasant experience for them or for me. After they'd just paid me good money to design them a web site, they discover that theirbusinessname.com is not available. Finding good alternatives isn't always easy or fun. So yeah, something should most definitely be done about those things.