Bounce rate at 75%- How to increase it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishirst

Staff member
because i know this is a valid point
Absolutely and no rebuttals, especially when it comes to referral spam. as that has been the bane of every log analyser and traffic analytical tool, even from before the Internet 'took off', and your comments do bring into focus my point regarding 'bounce rate' being meaningless without some qualifiers being included.

Ever since Google bought out Urchin Software and morphed "Urchin" in Google Analytics; (for those who don't know that little bit of Internet Marketing history, that is where the "utm_" parameter name comes from, being an initial-ism for urchin tracking marker) their unwarranted emphasis of "overall 'bounce' rate" being pretty much the first thing you see, has probably caused more confusion of what it really means to the average site owner than anything that any marketing/SEO "expert" has ever written, maybe with the exception of most PageRank analysis articles though.

krymson

What I've started doing is looking at the traffic that actually matters. I created a segment, that segments out visits where the time on page equals 0. This traffic is more than likely bots or spam and skews my metrics. So yes to keep the subject of this post inline with the thread, my bounce rate is much lower now that I'm looking at my quality traffic.

There are other ways to do it. I'm sure my way is not optimal because I can easily miss something and I have other segments and filters that I use to combat that.

chrishirst

Staff member
What I've started doing is looking at the traffic that actually matters
That's the right way, segment the traffic into defined areas. so it can be analysed in many ways and the more ways you break it down the better you understand visitor behaviour. The general idea is that you analyse the paths that lead to a conversion and improve the ones that don't, if you segment by referrer URL you can then see what links or referrer pages/sites provide better qualified traffic. You then use that data to improve any "link building" promotion you do

CenTex Hosting

You want to lower it not increase it. The lower the bounce rate the better. Means they are staying on your site. Look at the pages that have the highest bounce rate.

Also look at the search terms that have high bounce rate as well as referral links. Sometimes you could be marketing and ranking for a term that has nothing to do with your site and that could count toward the bounce rate. If that checks out look at the page that has a high bounce rate. See if you have a ton of content or not enough and then play around with it. Add images and so on and see if you can add things that will get the customers to interact with the site.

chrishirst

Staff member
The lower the bounce rate the better.
Wrong.
Also look at the search terms that have high bounce rate ...
Nope! "Search" traffic is almost invariably going to have a 'bounce' rate of over 50%. Despite what many assume or claim to 'know', Search traffic is NOT highly qualified, certainly that was the case a long time ago, before people got used to the idea Search and the Internet in general.

There is only one 'page' measurement that really matters in the analysis of your site traffic, and that is the conversion rate.

Mark White

1. Improve Your Content’s Readability
  2. Avoid Popups – Don’t Disrupt the UX
  3. Create a Compelling Call-to-Action
  4. Improve Your Brand Storytelling
  5. Target Keywords With High-Value Traffic
  6. Keep Your Blog Fresh With the Right Content
  7. Attract the Right Visitors
  8. Write Attractive Meta Descriptions for Search Users
Fake signature removed

Last edited by a moderator:

jainteq

When optimizing the CTA, every element matters. Even something as seemingly small as changing the text on a button can make a huge difference. Specifically, it can engage users and lead them to a resource page on your site, thus reducing bounce rate.

chrishirst

Staff member
If you use WordPress, you might want to consider the reduce bounce rate wordpress plugin. It fires every few seconds an event to Google to let them know the visitor is still at your website.
The plugin reduced my bounce rate to 14% monthly.

Find it in the repository: https://nl.wordpress.org/plugins/reduce-bounce-rate/

So you are willing to fool yourself for the sake of a completely USELESS 'metric.

exalomedia

So you are willing to fool yourself for the sake of a completely USELESS 'metric.

No it is not fooling myself. Bounce rates can tell you a lot. When someone is reading an article on your website taking 10 minutes, then Google might report that there was no movement since the mouse wasn't used when reading, thus giving a higher bounce rate. Firing an event that the visitor is still there will give a better figure to show the real bounce rate.

Quoting the plugin description:
Get the real Time On Site and Bounce Rate in Google Analytics. Google Analytics calculates the Time On Site based on the length of time between a user entering your site and their last page view. This won't give you the REAL Time on Site and Bounce Rate stats.

More information about this can be found at searchenginewatch.com

chrishirst

Staff member
When someone is reading an article on your website taking 10 minutes, then Google might report that there was no movement since the mouse wasn't used when reading,

That is absolutely nothing to do with 'bounce' rate, if a visitor spends an HOUR on any one URL then closes the document, that is still a 'bounce'.

The 'bounce' rate IS, as I have pointed out several times in this thread, only applicable in ONE specific instance (paid campaigns) and is purely a per document URL measurement.

hariandro95

Bounce rate is the main factor which reduce your page rank .to reduce the bounce rate you should provide users with valuble content and navigation to all needs of the user .In seo unique users are very important,as the number of unique users spends more time in your page your bounce rate will decrease gradually..I hope these informations will be useful to you..:)

hariandro95

Bounce rate is the main factor which reduce your page rank .to reduce the bounce rate you should provide users with valuble content and navigation to all needs of the user .In seo unique users are very important,as the number of unique users spends more time in your page your bounce rate will decrease gradually..I hope these informations will be useful to you..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.