Best program for logo design?

SplitElement

DO NOT USE PHOTOSHOP FOR LOGO DESIGN!!!

That can't be stressed enough. Using anything other than a Vector based program is amateurish. You should never produce a raster based logo, always vector.

che09

When creating logos, it's best to use a vector-based software such as CorelDRAW, or Adobe Illustrator.Logos need to be used in a variety of circumstances, therefore, it is best if they are resolution independent graphics that will maintain their integrity at any size. Because logos are usually not photographic in detail, vector-based software works well for them.

bbboy484

Photoshop and other graphical design software is great but sometimes you just want to design a quick logo with a template. That sometimes can be a problem. I know there is one best logo design software you can use for free on net. They ask you an option to donate but you don't have to. I design most of my logo with them it look basic now but I think eventually they will upgrade their graphic.

http://www.logosnap.com/

Hope this information helpful to you.

bloomingvine

You should design your logo in adobe illustrator because it does vector graphics. Then you don't have to redesign it for larger images. At the very least, If you use photoshop, design it in 300dpi and then save for web and devices to get a compressed .jpg for web

bcee

Photoshop does vector and it's not an amateur feet, where did you hear this. Albeit not as good as some of the other programs but to get the basic shapes down it is a good tool.

I usually go with sketching (paper) > photoshop > illustrator.

Kat- EtherClear

Adobe Photoshop allows for easier text editing and effects, however Illustrator is better for if you're printing business cards, signs etc as it creates a vector image that doesn't lose quality with scaling up, like some brushwork on Photoshop does.

Best,

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
i would never use photoshop.
those that are suggesting photoshop I would assume are clearly just using the logo on a webpage or letterhead/2"x3.5"Business card.
lets just say your logo is a basic red circle - nothing more.
make it a 600px x 600px canvas and draw a circle in photoshop.
save for web at correct size
save for BC or letterhead at correct size
logo looks great.
BLOW IT UP then for signage for the front of the shop. signage on their car, signage on a billboard etc etc. then you'll see why photoshop is limited as ANYTHING over the 600px square initial logo will look pixelated.
make it in illustrator and then blow it up. blow it up to the size of your house.
that red circle is still as smooth at that size as at a small size.
vector graphics. simply put. otherwise you'll be duplicating the logo several times for several sizes, and continually having to 'edit' it to make it look right.
do it once in illustrator and scale to suit.

BMA

Banned
The OP specified that he wanted an easy-to-learn software. Illustrator has horrible tutorials and a horrible learning curve. Even for formally trained designers who didn't buy every upgrade since Illustrator 10, the software is difficult to use. Illustrator, while the industry standard, is not the answer to the OP's question.

Depending on what your goals are, one can design a decent logo in the Microsoft Publisher program already on many office computers. It will let you save your image as a 300dpi jpg or png. If a client brings me a basic logo they made themselves at 8.5"x11" 300 dpi, I can live trace it for them and touch it up for other uses.

Only professional designers should invest the time and frustration needed to get used to Illustrator. Let's face it, Adobe isn't what it used to be. Each "upgrade" is buggier and more problematic to use than the last.

cobraart

illustrator...I have always created my logos with vector shapes..never bitmaps. vectors keep it simple and scalable. If i need a background for a business card or something like that, i will throw my vector logo into photoshop, but i dont use photoshop or bitmaps to create the logo