WYSIWYG web design programs

CaldwellYSR

Disadvantages are that they don't work. WYSIWYG == What You See Is What You Might Get If You're Lucky. The example they give, EXAI, is template driven and lets you pick from a predefined set of websites then just change in your own images, this is like going to a car lot and buying a car, then telling people you built it. Then when you make a site with a WYSIWYG software and one of your users points out a problem in your site... you have no idea how to fix it. Whereas if I design a website and then a user points out a problem in it, I can read the code and figure out what went wrong... then fix it.

Rockerfeller

I agree with you CaldwellYSR.

However we can't really be neutral over here as we are all website designers... Sometime I feel like softwares tend to remove all the coding from our existence. I couldn't imagine life without code, but it might be the future.

CaldwellYSR

I agree with you CaldwellYSR.

However we can't really be neutral over here as we are all website designers... Sometime I feel like softwares tend to remove all the coding from our existence. I couldn't imagine life without code, but it might be the future.

I don't see it being the future. There will always be places for coders even if only for debugging purposes. The biggest problem with WYSIWYG is that if a problem happens and you can't read code then there's nothing you can do about it... Unfortunately though it does seem that there is a huge push for a non-coding future. I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon though.

krymson

I'm going to have to agree with Caldwell, we have to keep web design at its roots. It's bad enough that just because people think they can use a WYSIWYG editor that makes them a pro web designer.

The fact is, our industry is saturated because these things. Yes... I'm not going to lie... I use dreamweaver, BUT i don't use it for the WYSIWYG, I never have design view open, now Caldwell with argue with me till he's blue in the face the Aptana is a better editor than DW but the fact of the matter is I've been using DW since Macromedia DW MX and it's just the UI and the functions are just more comfortable to me.

But back on point here, these people and companies, whom i shall call the saturators, are selling services that they really know nothing about and over charge innocent small businesses and individuals. What does this do? It causes trust problems between other web designers and prospective clients. The middle east has really over saturated the mark because their standard of living is sooooooo much low than the rest of the world. I get that they're trying to make a living and and we live in a world with free market, but what happens to the economy because people think they can just use a WYSIWYG editor and charge out the ass for it from other countries? The money doesnt get recycled back into that countries economy but rather goes to a different economy and then people wanna gripe... "well why's the economy so bad??" well outsourcer to the saturators the answer is simple... you're giving your money to another country instead of helping your own county out and getting quality work done from someone who has the fundamentals of their profession.

I'm getting to my point i promise ;)

Bottom line WYSIWYG editors have ruined this industry, people can't stand to do a little bit of typing, trial and error, and debugging. They want everything served to them with the point and click method. For this same reason jobs are being lost and people wanna believe it's more efficient... I would rather spend 10 hours on one web page doing hard coding with proper syntax and styling knowing it's going to be cross browser compatible, than spend 5 minutes on that same page just dragging and dropping crap on a page that's only going to work in IE and have no idea how to fix it... That's my whole point...

Sorry to be long winded

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use dreamweaver, BUT i don't use it for the WYSIWYG, I never have design view open, now Caldwell with argue with me till he's blue in the face the Aptana is a better editor than DW

personally i prefer dw myself as well but...considering i never use php maybe thats why I don't see the need for something like aptana.
it seems to be a php fanboy program.

krymson

php fan boy sums caldwell up ;) no but i really couldn't do work without him. I pick on him but he is one of the best young web developers I know. I couldn't have Krymson Productions without him, we're pretty symbiotic i need his help and he needs mine so we have an amazing partnership, and we look forward to our first full year to see how everything goes.

MrDougJay

Thanks for sharing the article. A WYSIWYG is a nice tool for webdesigning. It's easier to use compared to other languages.

CaldwellYSR

yep. php makes me want to write these sort of letters too.
http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

(was the iphone5 apples first "post-jobs" launch?), hmmm...

This is going to sound very fanboy of me but I really never had a problem with Maps. I saw some random examples online of it getting certain addresses wrong but since iOS6 came out I've driven quite a bit in Chattanooga for the first time really and I never got lost using Maps.... As for php... I know it so I use it. I've looked into python and a little bit of asp but I never found a reason to use either of them instead of php so...