WWW or not-WWW

foke

Hi...
Is there any difference between using your site's url with or without "www" in your backlinks?

Thanks!

bailey.rein

I guess there is a big difference because there is one time that I submitted my blog site to many directories without www on the urlthen after one month I tried checking it if the google cached my site... when I type my blog site with www the google cannot see my site but when I search my blog without www the google cached my blog website.

adamblan

Yes- there is a difference, but as long as you use a 303 redirect (from non-www -> www or vice versa) you'll be fine;)

Bronzy

Yes or no both!! :)
Now SE's consider WWW & without www are different, It was not any different before, so good practice is use 301 redirect for all SE. for only Google you can use Google Webmaster Central.

ahk2chan

In Google Webmaster tool, you can specify which one you prefer, either the one with www or the one without www. Dashboard -> Settings -> Preferred domain.

conor

I personally do not use www, but for most of my clients I do because they all request it!

There is a good reason for it though. If you are writing a link parsing engine then it is much easier if all the links have www before them since not many people write their websites with the http:// prefix

yelleyster

From an SEO perspective, they are different. I suggest you use a site redirect.

Exactly, i'm glad that you reminded them.

A lot of people overlook small details like that then wonder why its tripping them up later when it comes to PR

superaff

Yes, they are different. Some sites do not get indexed by major SE's because of lacking WWW's, while others are ok. But be sure to add WWW if I were you. :)