Wonky sizing results embedding .swf file in html--css problem?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by braveandplucky, Dec 1, 2008.

to remove all ads.
  1. braveandplucky

braveandplucky New Member

Why won't my flash movie display full size (570x405)?

http://www.creepinghemlock.com/ladners/index3.html

You'll notice that the dimensions are correctly defined. The script code all comes from the export function of Flash. I can't get any other markup to work. :/

I'm testing in ie7 and firefox; it looks identical in both.

Is this a problem being caused by my css? You can view an unadorned html page with just the movie at http://www.creepinghemlock.com/ladners/ladtest2.html, so you know it's not a problem with the movie itself. Do I need to make a class just for this movie and specify the size? How?

I'm not dumb, just really new to this stuff. :)

Edit: I've done another file with a container for the movie, though (duh, as I realize now) the only way it could effect the movie's dimensions is if it were using it as a background image, which is at least invalid if not impossible. At any rate, the page with the style applied to the movie is http://www.creepinghemlock.com/ladners/index4.html. At least it's where I want it, now.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. jnjc

jnjc New Member

It looks like you may have the height/width ratio wrong. Try leaving the width as is and increasing the height and see if it looks any better.

HTH,
    JC

3. braveandplucky

The only place where size is mentioned in the code is in that flash-output javascript code set, and the numbers are good. I changed the numbers as a test and it appears the same as before. There's something wrong in the way the html effects that code, but I don't know what.

Are we allowed to pay for answers? Seriously, I really need to get this solved and I've got some metaphorical green in my paypal account.

4. Geodun1

Geodun1 New Member

Rather than applying the style to a container around the embed, trying applying it directly to the embed with the class="" or id="" setups. I don't work much with movie embeds, but theoretically you could apply the width/height this way and force the movie to stretch to this. We found out during school that flash movies will scale to most pixel ratios, so try a % width and height if all else fails.

5. braveandplucky

You mean I can do script class="" within the script markup and then set up the dimensions in the css?

6. Geodun1

Geodun1 New Member

Why would you need scripts for a movie embed? I might just be having a blank moment due to the time, but as far as I knew, flash movies only needed the <embed> part of html. Is there something along the lines I'm missing?

7. braveandplucky

Dude, if I only knew. I've tried doing a completely straightup embed and I get nothing. Nothing! That silly, bloated javascript output that Flash generated was the only thing we could get to appear at all, so I figured I'd tinker with it till it looked right and worry about getting valid later.

------------------------

Okay, so I just tinkered around with my original raw embed-and-object version and got it to show the movie properly, including the skin that I thought all that javascript was enabling (NOT).

However, the size is off in the same proportions as ever.

http://www.creepinghemlock.com/ladners/index.html

Seriously, I'm willing to pay. I just don't see anything wrong, anything that should be causing this.

8. braveandplucky

Okay, here's my embedding code for the index.html page. The actual movie dimensions are 570x405. Check out what happens when I change them radically.

<OBJECT
    WIDTH="800" HEIGHT="150" id="MyMovieName">
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="ladtest1.swf">
    <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
    <EMBED src="ladtest1.swf" quality=high WIDTH="800" HEIGHT="150"
    NAME="MyMovieName" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>

It expands horizontally as far as I want but won't reduce vertically. i.e., this white shape is some kind of horrible unknowable white-background div that's locking the height to approximately 230px for no reason I can discern! ARGH. I don't know where it's coming from. Please spot it for me.

9. Geodun1

Geodun1 New Member

I'll crawl through your css this evening if someone else doesn't do it.

10. braveandplucky

Hi, still stuck.

11. jnjc

jnjc New Member

I think I may have cracked it. In you main.css around line 12 there is a piece of code that reads:

Code:
    html>body * { height: auto; }
    remove it and you should be good.

HTH,
    JC

12. abrarshf

abrarshf New Member

Your H/W ratio is not correct

13. braveandplucky

JC, my hero! That solved it completely, as well as another issue I was having (google search results being similarly boxed in).

Thank you so much!