Winstall.exe - helpp!!

alisaselez

Hi everebody
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
Thanks a lot

StephanieCordray

You'll have to turn off system restore on your computer. What happens is windows takes a "snapshot" of your computer, the programs installed, etc. etc. at intervals in case a full restore is needed due to some problem. What's happening is that windows restore got that trojan so it sort of keeps coming back... that's where your antivirus is finding it and you can't get rid of it without turning off the restore function. Once you've turned it off, you can turn it back on after you've done a very thorough scan of your computer... if you wish... I've never seen much real good come from restore except for slowing my computer down although I suppose it does have some uses if you install something that doesn't play well with other programs.

As far as the icon on your deskstop, you can delete that without it deleting anything vital... it's just a shortcut to the program and doesn't have any capabilities except that.

StephanieCordray

oh, forgot to tell you how to turn off restore. On the start menu, go to accessories, then system tools, then system restore. This will bring up a splash screen with two radio buttons on the right, some text on the left, and a link under the text which says "system restore settings". Click on that and choose turn off system restore on all drives or it may say simply turn off system restore if you have only one drive.