Why doesn't my website render correctly on Internet Explorer 8?

d a v e

There is nothing 'simple' about your solution. Adding in &nbsp; and using a <ul> without any <li> s in it is both lazy and pointless. 10 years ago everybody realised that separating out presentational elements from the page and keeping them in a CSS file made management of a website a lot easier - where have you been? There's also another reason to use standards compliant code - the results are much more predictable across a variety of platforms.

You may have got it to work this time round but please don't go round recommending your garbage code to others who come here to learn.

Hear! Hear!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not only is using a <li> correct, but physically 3 characters less to type. Plus as a structured list it can be very flexibly altered with css. Correctly read by screen readers etc...

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gentlemen, I think we're all missing the point. If the browser doesn't refuse to render the HTML, it must be good enough, amiright? :rolleyes:

GUDVH

The GUDVH Ways of Doing...

There is nothing 'simple' about your solution. Adding in &nbsp; and using a <ul> without any <li> s in it is both lazy and pointless. 10 years ago everybody realised that separating out presentational elements from the page and keeping them in a CSS file made management of a website a lot easier - where have you been? There's also another reason to use standards compliant code - the results are much more predictable across a variety of platforms.

You may have got it to work this time round but please don't go round recommending your garbage code to others who come here to learn.

You've got that right buddy. I GOT IT TO WORK this time round, AND, I WILL ALWAYS GET IT TO WORK!... :p