* Why does my site look like this on certain computers? *

bigbonthabeat

On my computer and a couple of other computers I've checked, it looks fine, but on my friends computer, it looks like this:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x292/bigbonthabeat/pic.png

In an attempt to fix the problem, I changed my character's height px value from 511px to a % (75%) and it came out looking like this:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x292/bigbonthabeat/bryson.jpg

Here is my website:
http://www.brysonprice.com

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED QUESTION:

I want my character to always stand on top of the sticky footer. And if the images can't all fit on the screen, I want it to scroll. How do I achieve this?

Last edited:

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it doesn't show up at all on my iPhone, so I assume it's flash. Could it be that your friend has an old/corrupt copy of flash?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
position fixed and the bottom 200px will therefore make it sit 200px from the bottom of the browser. so therefore it will only show the entire image if the browser is 711px high. which your friends computer obviously isnt.

therefore make your image smaller, or change it to position relative

in fact you dont need most of the css styling you've done. its just complicating a very simple layout.

bigbonthabeat

Well, it doesn't show up at all on my iPhone, so I assume it's flash. Could it be that your friend has an old/corrupt copy of flash?

ronaldroe,

Eventually, I'm going to have a mobile version as well, but the the character and navigation buttons are flash objects. An my friend didn't have a corrupt version of flash because I have see this also happen on some other computers that have different resolutions.

bigbonthabeat

position fixed and the bottom 200px will therefore make it sit 200px from the bottom of the browser. so therefore it will only show the entire image if the browser is 711px high. which your friends computer obviously isnt.

therefore make your image smaller, or change it to position relative

in fact you dont need most of the css styling you've done. its just complicating a very simple layout.

Phreaddee,

Making my character smaller is not the route I want to go because a lot of work was put into animating that character (in Flash). When you scroll over the character, it goes through a series of images (all of them are that same size). So if I were to change the character size, I would have to resize all of those images and then redo the flash for it.
Instead I would just like the screen to scroll if it doesn't all fit. And I think 711px is a very reasonable height to have. If it were any smaller, it would very puny on a mac.

So if I make my cartoon div relative, it will fix the problem?

Is the css causing this problem?

thanks!

notarypublic

Two things that might work:

First, to fix the height issue:

Make a div that's the height of your content with an overflow: scroll rule.

HTML:
div
{
width:150px;
height:150px;
overflow:scroll;
}

I'm assuming that the problem is that some browsers might not know to scroll to fit flash content. If it all sits inside a div, it should fix your problem there.

Next, to position the browser to the bottom of the page, you may need to use some javascript. I'm not very experienced with it myself, but this seems to be relevant.

Best of luck,

bigbonthabeat

Two things that might work:

First, to fix the height issue:

Messing around with some of your suggestions sparked an idea and made me realize something. My character is behind the footer because of the type of 'sticky footer' I inserted. So I googled and messed around with other sticky footers and I found another one that would better suit what I'm doing.

I need to position my character in a way that he will always be standing on top of the footer. Is this possible? What is the best method to use? Just as the sticky footer sticks to the bottom of the page, is there a way to make my cartoon stick to the sticky footer?

here is the link for the sticky footer I used:
http://www.cssstickyfooter.com/using-sticky-footer-code.html

here is my website:
http://www.brysonprice.com

Last edited:

notarypublic

One of these might do the trick? I think having a div that spans 100% height and floats on top is probably the answer. Otherwise, if you know the exact height your pages will always be, you could (shudder) use absolute positioning and hard-code a value. :/

bigbonthabeat

One of these might do the trick? I think having a div that spans 100% height and floats on top is probably the answer. Otherwise, if you know the exact height your pages will always be, you could (shudder) use absolute positioning and hard-code a value. :/

I don't think the person in this post was trying to do the same thing I want to do. And in the end, the people said he couldn't achieve it.

I just want my character to always stand on top of the sticky footer. And if the images can't all fit on the screen, I want it to scroll.

DHDdirect

Considering your last post is in all caps and bold, I will take that as some sort of ungrateful attitude. There has been many people in this forum willing to assist you but what we are certainly not willing to do is rebuild your websites layout for you while you sit back and relax.

I'm sure the general concenses is that we are here to provide useful references and help point people in the correct direction so they may learn for themselves.

In the short time I've been here I haven't once seen someone post that they are an expert at all things related to these forums and I'm certainly not going to be the first. Sometimes we suggest things that are untested and they don't work, sometimes we test our ideas to make them work and pass them on but we are not here to build sites for free. If that was the case then nobody would learn.

bigbonthabeat

Considering your last post is in all caps and bold, I will take that as some sort of ungrateful attitude. There has been many people in this forum willing to assist you but what we are certainly not willing to do is rebuild your websites layout for you while you sit back and relax.

I'm sure the general concenses is that we are here to provide useful references and help point people in the correct direction so they may learn for themselves.

In the short time I've been here I haven't once seen someone post that they are an expert at all things related to these forums and I'm certainly not going to be the first. Sometimes we suggest things that are untested and they don't work, sometimes we test our ideas to make them work and pass them on but we are not here to build sites for free. If that was the case then nobody would learn.

I'm sorry you took the post that way. That is not what I meant...I just wanted it to catch people's attention so that they wouldn't waste their time in trying to answer the question (some people don't read every post and just read the original question). Also, I wanted to make it clear, for others who have a similar problems, where the answer to this question can be found.
Sorry for the miscommunication