Why do I fail at webdesign?

kensha

It seem they got it right about the webdevolpers that they can't design websites like the the avarage designers do.

Learning webcodes goes fine and smooth, and I already know a lot of the basic javascript and php [been learning since last june]
Full controll of html and css.

But for some reason, I designed several layouts but people just don't seem to like them.

I have done some background research about coloring and layout structure but for some reason I just keep failing at the webdesign part cause I might not be creatief enough.

Anyone got some tips or suggestions for me of how I can be even more creatief then I am now?

leroy30

you designed "several layouts" but I bet you put more hours in to programming over the last 6 months than you put in to designing layouts.

Start by researching other websites and finding ideas that you like.

I find that the hardest thing is trying to create a website layout when you don't know the content. You end up trying to invent random stuff so try to get the content first and make your layout based on that.

You could also try researching 'the golden rule' and other design ideas.

meester

Definitely seems like you know what you're doing with code, but the second half to designing a website layout - is the design. Maybe starting off by sketching something out, or using a photo editor for an image of the layout for a good idea. Here is a good place (i find at least) for good ideas and inspiration http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/
I also find it difficult to add that spice it up edge on a website, but that separates the great from the rest! Good luck to you!

kensha

Thanks for the some tips and yeah codes and logo´s are mine specialty but the entire layout it self isn´t:)

AK Web Design

When they say they don't like your designs, do you ask them what they would like to change? I feel like getting their input and tweaking your work would solve everything.

reverseengineer

I always go with my "intuition". When you look at good websites, what makes you go, "ahh thats classic, or clean, or modern" or whatever. Go with what you would think the customer would get excited about!

skien1234

It seem they got it right about the webdevolpers that they can't design websites like the the avarage designers do.

Learning webcodes goes fine and smooth, and I already know a lot of the basic javascript and php [been learning since last june]
Full controll of html and css.

But for some reason, I designed several layouts but people just don't seem to like them.

I have done some background research about coloring and layout structure but for some reason I just keep failing at the webdesign part cause I might not be creatief enough.

Anyone got some tips or suggestions for me of how I can be even more creatief then I am now?

If you are looking for color themes for css code. colorinhtml.com offers a wide variety of color themes for your website. It helps a lot!

rwebber77

I know exactly how you feel, I am a developer/programmer and can't design to save my life. Website after website...and I am just never satisfied with the look of them. In your defense though, you will very rarely see someone who possesses both the creative and technical side of this industry. Either you are a graphic designer or you are black and white! Check out this site for a lot of tips about what NOT to do :)

Synergy Studios

i agree with some of the above posts. Some people just arent visually creative. i am a designer and ive tried and tried to learn php/asp coding and i cant do it with ease, my brain just doesnt comprehend how it all works.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
learn typography and grids

it isn't that difficult to be proficient in both.

otherwise, employ a GD.

as for your recent design.
have to say its pretty bad...
there is no grid flow.
too much whitespace (and not effectively used)
the colours are very monochromatic.
the font is too big and the nav is all squashed out of proportion on "Home"
the "logo" isnt a logo at all its a font.
the gradient although a nice thought doesnt add to the design in any way. and appears out of place.
same with the image. its just thrown in there...

sorry but you wanted me to be honest.