Which layout is better?

daveheinzel

Hi all - first time post here. Working on a new layout and cannot decide which of the following arrangements works best. If you were looking for a file, which layout makes it easiest to find that file? And as designers / developers, do you have a preference based on implementation or expandability concerns?

The content is coming from a custom CMS, and the layout needs to handle both very few items and a lot of items. People currently upload mostly PDFs, but this layout can support other file types as well as external links.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

layouts.jpg

Last edited:

Brew

Having thumbnails with identical icons does not add anything meaningful to finding a file. It would make more sense if you were using a gallery. But for finding files quickly I'd go for the (alphabetical) list.

chrishirst

Staff member
Agreed, It's easier for the end user to find what they are looking for. It makes the end user extremely happy and keeps them coming back to your site.
Maybe not "coming back" but it could be the difference between staying or leaving quickly.

So why not offer both? Your scenario is EXACTLY what framesets SHOULD be used for, and that is offering a choice of GUI based navigation and/or text based navigation to the end user.

See any installation of WHM for an example.

whm-gui.png

daveheinzel

Thank you all for the feedback. After sleeping on it a bit, I do agree - the list view, especially alphabetized, is going to be the best for finding something. I was probably just trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. Sometimes it's hard to know when that's happening. Thanks again.

-Dave