which languages do i need for a webshop?

Tyanu

Hi everyone,
I've decided i want to dive in to webdisign, and my goal is to have made a webshop for a family member at februari the 1st 2012.

At the moment i know HTML and CSS pretty wel.
Ofcourse i need alot more to be able to build a running webshop.
I was just about to start learning javascript, when i realised that some of you guys have probably have some experience with webshops and know what i need. Is JS the first logical step, followed by PHP?

Also i need some way for my family member to be able to acces and add and change content and prices and stuff on the site once it's finished. Whats the best way to go about that? (she has no code knowledge of anykind, so something visual/numerical is necessary.

Any advice where to go next?

enat

Hi everyone,
I've decided i want to dive in to webdisign, and my goal is to have made a webshop for a family member at februari the 1st 2012.

At the moment i know HTML and CSS pretty wel.
Ofcourse i need alot more to be able to build a running webshop.
I was just about to start learning javascript, when i realised that some of you guys have probably have some experience with webshops and know what i need. Is JS the first logical step, followed by PHP?

Also i need some way for my family member to be able to acces and add and change content and prices and stuff on the site once it's finished. Whats the best way to go about that? (she has no code knowledge of anykind, so something visual/numerical is necessary.

Any advice where to go next?
If i may say so, you're going about this in a very complex way, coding an functional webshop isn't all too easy to start with, and there's a ton of them out there you could use, and then just reconfigure the templates to make them look the way you want.

Otherwise you'll be needing knowledge in sql, php, js, jquery .. And no small amounts either, the interface to add items in and of itself would be an ightmare to code without prior experience to make it userfrinedly .. Again, this is UX experience etc, so all in all you need to be qualified in quite a few fields to be able to do your own shoppingcart.

Instead I'd suggest looking into solutions that already exist, such as OSCommerce, prestashop, opencart and so forth.

amorrisweb

I agree with Enat. To hand code a web store is very technical and time consuming. Not to mention for a novice coder you wouldn't want to be responsible for security exploitations that particularly PHP can leave you open to if you aren't careful. Use the existing frameworks because there are many and customize them to your liking. Many frameworks are very heavily tweakable for someone with HTML and CSS knowloedge.

Tyanu

Alright guys, tnx for the comments so far. So i know i should let go of the webshop as a solo project.

Creating that webshop however is not my goal, more like a mark where i wanted to be in a couple of months. It's obviously too big.

Questions then remains. Whats should i learn now if i want to get further in designing say: an information website for a small business that just needs to contain information and maybe some way to retrieve some kind of data from visitors/costumers like names, phone numbers, maybe something they would want to upload, etc.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont let those cronies stifle you.
What u need is a cms that can handle ecommerce.
All you need to know about sql is to set up the database, and php is to install the cms.
To modify it greatly might require further knowledge of php, but find a cms with a good community behind it and those modifications wont seem so daunting.

Youve got 2 months, give it a crack!

enat

Dont let those cronies stifle you.
What u need is a cms that can handle ecommerce.
All you need to know about sql is to set up the database, and php is to install the cms.
To modify it greatly might require further knowledge of php, but find a cms with a good community behind it and those modifications wont seem so daunting.

Youve got 2 months, give it a crack!
Your suggestion only differed by saying "Get an addon for a cms" so it'll be more to manage .. Not saying he shouldn't try, but it's kinda like doing a hurdlerace where he not only jumps them, but also builds one by one, while all other simply leap =)