When you build a register page on a web site, what kinds of info do you ask from your

Glenn

When you build a register page on a web site, what kinds of info do you ask from your user?

I'm building a register form. I know I need name, email, DOB, username, password. What else do I need?

I know it depends on what kind of site but I'm just trying to get some ideas.

Glenn

The reason I'm asking is because I may post ads according to age, gender, location, ect. I'm looking for other demographics that may help in posting certain kinds of ads as they visit the sites I have.

chrishirst

Staff member
It's called "Marketing", and if you don't know what you need to know already, .... Hire somebody who does.

chrishirst

Staff member
Like I said, I'm just getting ideas.
Sure, but the first rule of ANY kind of marketing is;

Know your audience, until YOU meet that criteria no one can tell you what information you can collect, or more correctly ... What your target demographic will be happy to provide you with.

Also, what you ask for will also depend on what you are giving them as an incentive for giving you the information. You have to justify WHY you want their date of birth, if you even need that in the first place.

GUDVH

Regarding: " The reason I'm asking is because I may post ads according to age, gender, location, ect. I'm looking for other demographics that may help in posting certain kinds of ads as they visit the sites I have."

What niche are you in? What is the purpose of your website? Why do you need people to register? Is your website safe for people to provide you with their "personal" information?

I agree with chrishirst: "Know your audience"

Btw, if you run a website just to collect others' information for your advertisement purposes, spammers and scammers sites like that I don't waste my time visiting!

Where do your website stand? Is it a site people can get something out of it on every visit, or is it just a website for you to steal others' information?

Last edited: