When clients stipulate "I want to change it myself"... what do you tell them?

well, in my imho.. .i guess this can be settled before the anything being done has already been put into an agreement.. .its not an easy task for a custom web designer to just whip out the magic wand and do what the client wants.. .

DeatosLabs

If the budget fits, then a cms/custom solution should definitely be considered for these types of clients.

Hiring someone to make you a website that you want to be able to change requires you to put that in the initial assessment.

You dont hire an electrician to install a light without a lightswitch. And you dont expect the electrician to install the lightswitch without being paid for it because you didnt realize you needed it beforehand.

I always find this a difficult question and I was just wondering how other freelancers / contractors / businesses etc. tackle it.

I'm forever recieving clients that obviously require a graphic designer or web designer yet as soon as you have completed the job they require to "make small changes myself".

Obviously there are options for some things and granted the budget is big enough then anything is possible but for things like vector graphics I mean do you just tell them to go do the same degree you did and buy the same $3000 software you did? Man I'd love to say that sometimes..

When you hire an electrician to wire up a new switch to some lighting in your house you don't demand he do it in such a way that you can easily re-wire it without any knowledge, experience or equipment.

I guess this is more a rant than anything lol.

What do you do in that situation?