What would be faster?

Zobator

I have a site with lots of pages that are pretty the same but have different .swf files in them. All the videos have a description. Now I'm wondering what would be faster for a user to use: Write the description in plain HTML on every page or write it in my MYSQL database and let it retrieve the description there.

I think HTML will be faster but would it have advantages to use a database instead? Each video is included in a database for quicksearch whatsoever, so I would just need to ad an extra column in MySQL

Zobator

?

A place to discuss web programming languages like ASP, Perl, PHP, etc is manymore. you can check out to this website "http://www.hotscripts.com/"

I'm very sorry but I don't see how this answers my question in any way... :confused:

startup0101

I have a site with lots of pages that are pretty the same but have different .swf files in them. All the videos have a description. Now I'm wondering what would be faster for a user to use: Write the description in plain HTML on every page or write it in my MYSQL database and let it retrieve the description there.

I think HTML will be faster but would it have advantages to use a database instead? Each video is included in a database for quicksearch whatsoever, so I would just need to ad an extra column in MySQL

Hi there. To answer your question, yes, it would be faster to use HTML as it is static content. If you place it in a database, the page has to query the database every time it is requested which includes some wait time and transfer time.

There could be advantages to storing in a database, though, depending upon your setup. For simplicity and speed, though, the HTML description would be the way to go. If you want to do some more complicated things with your descriptions, then you could look into storing them in the database.

if it's a static content, use HTML for marking up your document.. then use CSS for the layout..

if you want to make it dynamic, then use AJAX.. you can manipulate files and store in databases using this, too.. or, use PHP or JSP as an alternative..

palme

the question is , what you want to save in your databse, if it's about to save web address or swf file address, then html is faster if you dont want to use many table in html code. ajax or jquery is alse very fast

nafirici

you can get the advantages of a db and still get close to the speed of an html page by adding memcached with it.