What was your favorite and least favorite client?

LouTheDesigner

So we've had our fair share of clients in our days. Some are super simple, while some you had wished that you charged $100K for the stress they put on you because they don't know any better.

I guess I'll go first:

Favorite: A construction company that didn't try to haggle me down from my standard $50/hour, and I never had to meet with any of the employees. Just met with one at a local bar for a drink and a cash payment. Finished the site in 8 hours (over the course of 2 days). They knew exactly what they wanted, and had everything prepared.

Worst: A client who demanded that I meet every week for two hours to 'discuss' the site, change the slightest things (imagine changing the font on 100 Flash symbols containing text every time they wanted a change, thought $1,000 was too much for a very high end flash site, wouldn't take my recommendations, and then when she got some bad feedback decided to ask "Why didn't you stop me?"

Share yours -- vent your frustrations

-Lou

POWW

Best: A non restricted budget based around building a childrens party website, wanted it in flash and then needed to re-create in HTML due to SEO issues and them wanting to be able to change content via front page

Worst: A similar case, where a large security seller wanted an interactive flash site for their users to enjoy and move around, set a $1,000 budget, then changed the flash text 15 times, then wanted in HTML so 'reach' seo could follow clicks and then alteration of graphics without more pay. Average $'s per hour, $5, ha ha ha.

avatable

Wow thanks for sharing your stories. I'm looking to get started into web designing (just simple stuff like logos and buttons, just to get my foot in the door) but these stories might just turn me off from doing that! I hope to encounter a good client first before a bad one, just so I won't become demotivated from this line of work.

LouTheDesigner

Wow thanks for sharing your stories. I'm looking to get started into web designing (just simple stuff like logos and buttons, just to get my foot in the door) but these stories might just turn me off from doing that! I hope to encounter a good client first before a bad one, just so I won't become demotivated from this line of work.

You just have to be aggressive with them. They all get their fake little web design facts from friends who've had websites made.

For example, I had one client scold me(via e-mail) for using a font that wasn't a standard system font, and they swore up and down that it won't display on others' computers. I send an email back describing that her website was made in flash so it didn't matter whatsoever, and that I may start charging her for the time spent refuting her retarded arguments.

- Lou

Janeuree

Thumbs up:
The client who hired me regardless how inexperience I'am. He offered me a laptop and gave me tools and training materials.

Thumbs down:
The client who demanded me 100 do follow links in a limited time with a very cheap price. Kill me!

steve barbarich l Website Conversion