What to charge??

jaims908

I am beginner web designer, just graduated with a graphic design degree from a university. I have done a couple sites but not many. What is the proper amount to charge a person for like 5 page simple site. I was thinking $500 flat rate. Is this reasonable? Thanks!

Jaimie

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
honestly, the best answer i can give you is to charge whatever you feel your work is worth. their is no set standard.

The Lion

Quality is Everything!

No matter what you think you're worth, quality is everything. And the only way to really judge quality is by sales and client satisfaction. This will help dictate the amount of money you can charge for your websites. But you need somewhere to start, right?

You can start by throwing out the flat rate pricing. It won't serve you as well in the longrun as an hourly scheme. You'll develop a stronger appreciation for your own abilities, as well as for those who may one day work with or for you. Do this by designing a few ready-to-go five-page sites, like these three new ones I just put up in my own new custom websites showroom, and keep track of the hours you put in. Start with $35 an hour, and be honest about your count of hours invested. If the sites sell and your clients are happy, you may be able to bump up your hourly rate by ten bucks. If you still manage to sell your work, bump it up a little more until you're up around $60 to $65, which is about the ceiling for competitive small works.

If you're good at what you do and effecient, you should be able to produce a complete, practical work in around 12 hours, start to finish, with 2 to 3 hours factored in for client content transfer. And if that sells -well, you get the picture. You're in business.

I'm actually curious about you now. I just refaced most of my own company for the new year, and am just finishing up with a few odds and ends. I think I'd like to see some of your work, if you're interested and have a sample. Maybe we can work something out. If so, contact me and let me know. This goes out to everyone really, but you in particular.

Good luck, friend,
The Lion.

Join my free online business directory. First-come first-served. Priority to U.S. businesses...

Last edited:

bermuda

It really depends on several factors such as: 1) How sophisticated and professional the designs are going to be 2) The hours spent over the projects 3) Whether or not you are going to use your own stock photos 4) Whether or not you are going to help your client with website maintenance, running, uploading of them, etc...

Last edited: