What Site Width is Best?

web67

i will prefer to use % intead of fix width, not only coz of resolution but also that many people use wide screen like me

Last edited:

040hosting

Agreed, i would prefer dynamic width before fixed width.

But is also depends very much on your target audience. Creating a website which is targeted to a market where they still use old monitors (800x600) or creating a website which is for designers (high res!).

Hope this helps.

TheBlackOut

How do you use % well? Can you point me to any good guides? I ask because the site I am working on for a friend (First site I'm actually trying on) I made it 900px.

http://www.wowyoureugly.com/test/

Obviously if % is better and (I know it is because it adjusts to everyone's resolution, right? No matter how small or large?... but doesn't that stretch out images and make them look distorted out of curiosity?) I would love to use it, but I don't quite understand how to impliment it.... I use Dreamweaver.

Sorry about the thread hijack - just saw it a fit question.

c)solutions

% Have there benefits, but I generally dont use them because it can be user unfriendly, especially when you present readable text. Your sentenses get to long for a user to read comfortably.

There is also an other point of view in this discussion. Its not only about 'make your site fit on every screen' but its also about design. When your making a design, you deside yourself how wide your page will be. You can design it 100px wide, but it might aswell be 1200px wide. It's your call!

For a user friendly side which should be read by a big group of people (800x600, 1024x768, 1200x1024, 1280x800, IE6, IE7, Firefox, etc) i try to pick a width between the 800 and the 900px.

Good luck designing and constructing your side.
http://www.csolutions.nl

Last edited by a moderator:

web67

solutions, if u feel that having dynamic width can affect ur text aliugnment, u can always set the div of the text to specific size, to avoid de formation

Last edited:

c)solutions

That is offcourse a possibility, but why would you give your text a specific size and the rest of the site dynamic measurements. If it fits in the design, sure use it, but it sounds not logical to me.