What should I do befor I hire a webdesigner?

larryng

I dont know if this is the right place to ask this question.

I thinking about setting up a dating website.

I know nothing about webdesign. Im thinking about hiring a web designer.

What kind of preparations or homework should I do befor I give someone my money?

Should I hire web designer close to where I live or hire someone from the web?

jumpingspider

What kind of preparations or homework should I do befor I give someone my money?

If you know someone close to you it would be better. But of course it is also best to do back ground check on his/her/their works. Reviews would be good also!

disenoweb

For serious big projects it should be better that you seach someone local and with experience. Because with freelancers you can have the problem that in one year or sometime he wont be able to support you. Someone who has an agencie or makes serious business should be able to support you over years.

Than you should dive just a little bit in "good webdesign theory". Like semantic code, usability, search engine optimization and so on. Just the theory, I think it would serve if you read some 3 or 4 blogpost about this topics which you can find if you google it.

MarkR

Shortlist local reputable companies with good portfolios and approach them.

Research other dating websites and pick out features you would like.

Look into Search Engine Optimisation, Content Management Systems and the algorithms used in the dating industry to match people up. Look into payment gateways (authorize.net, sagepay).

With something like this remember that cheapest is not always best. We've seen it a few times where a client has gone with a web designer because they are ultra cheap, and then end up paying another developer to fix it because what they got was rubbish.

disenoweb

Shortlist local reputable companies with good portfolios and approach them.

Research other dating websites and pick out features you would like.

Look into Search Engine Optimisation, Content Management Systems and the algorithms used in the dating industry to match people up. Look into payment gateways (authorize.net, sagepay).

With something like this remember that cheapest is not always best. We've seen it a few times where a client has gone with a web designer because they are ultra cheap, and then end up paying another developer to fix it because what they got was rubbish.

A true point, sometimes if you took the cheapest you end up paying more for someone to fix it. Its a market rule that good quality cant be cheap

Absolution

I also suggest you buy your own domain name, from a website like godaddy.com, so that you own it. Otherwise a less than reputable person might use it to shill scams. Dont give this person access to the domain name settings. The only thing you might need to do for that person concerning the domain name is enter in two name servers.

susancarry

Hi ! I think you should hire a web designer close to you, but make sure that he or she must be very well experienced & professional in his or her work or either you can also search for someone on web. You will find lots of different verities to choose from. Then choose the best one you like or afford.

Jeroen07

Portfolio gives the best information... Look at his previous work and check if you like his websites...

Also ask a professional if the source code looks god... And then, compare prices :D