what program should i use and HELP!!!

hi, im looking at starting a new biusness and need a web page.
i am skilled in it but not web design so im wondering firstly what program i should use to make my webpage. The only one i know of is dreamweaver, which, has its problems.
also am i right about this;first you use a program like dreamweaver and create your web page offline then you register a domain name, now you can upload you offline page onto your web domain host. (something like that)

sysgenmedia

Hi there,

Well, you're mostly right, though I actually prefer to create and test my site online rather than locally. What you'll need to do is purchase web hosting somewhere. Many hosting companies also provide domain registration. Once you've got the domain linked to your hosting, you would upload your website files to your hosting via FTP.

As for a program to use, I personally prefer Dreamweaver. That said, given that this will be for your business and that you're fairly inexperienced, you may want to try something like GoDaddy's Website Tonight service if you don't have the budget to hire a web developer.

While I always advocate hiring someone who does web design for a living (this is essentially your store-front, you want it to represent your business well rather than have the equivalent of putting up a cardboard sign in a window with your business name scribbled in crayon), if that isn't in the budget, the best do-it-yourself option that I've seen has been via GoDaddy. Perhaps others will have other suggestions though, as I haven't actually used these types of services.

Hope this helps.

~ Nathan

lolkaykay

Yeah, dreamweaver is the best way to go if you're inexperienced and going to do this yourself. You want to create a new website (not just a page) and keep everything in one folder, and then upload that folder once you have a host. If you want, I can help you design a website for pretty cheap. PM me on the forum or email me at [email protected].

ccironny

Dreamweaver is easy for people to master. It's what I used, pretty much self taught me everything I knew through dreamweaver. If you can find it, get the tutorial dvd that goes over all the features.

Med

Agree with sysgenmedia. If your business is worth doing, it is worth hiring a professional to build your site. Do your business justice.

GL

MoreGun89

I haven't had a chance yet to try Dreamweaver (too expensive) but I started on Expression Web and so far I have no complaints. It's relatively simple, and it allows me to go in and change specific code if I choose. Although, the GoDaddy solution seems like a good idea if you need the website quick, fast and in a hurry without time to at least get to know a program. Hope this helps!

BradT81

Expression is ok but Dreamweaver would be a better choice. I know its expensive but it will be worth it in the long run

ishie

Dreamweaver is pretty easy to learn and use. There's lot of free online tutorials out there. If you don't want that, why not try using Wordpress? You can make a decent business-related site using that platform.

Garry

why don't you try one of those template-driven sites, like WIX.COM ... or experiment with a Wordpress blog structure as infrastructure. The bottom line, as others are saying, is hire a web-designer and get the job done well. If you're low-budget (or 'no-budget') experiment with wordpress or wix.

CaldwellYSR

why don't you try one of those template-driven sites, like WIX.COM ... or experiment with a Wordpress blog structure as infrastructure. The bottom line, as others are saying, is hire a web-designer and get the job done well. If you're low-budget (or 'no-budget') experiment with wordpress or wix.

Do NOT bump a 2 year old thread so you can suggest something as ridiculously terrible as wix.