What modern web designing techniques must I be familiar with to make a living?

kitson

Hi, I have been off and on web designing for the last 7 years. It started out as a casual hobby, but I have really gotten a grip on basic mark-up languages. My question is, What modern web designing techniques must I be familiar with to make a living in web design? I am looking for what languages must I be familiar with. It seems in recent years, Just basic mark-up won't cut it anymore.

MarkR

Hi, I have been off and on web designing for the last 7 years. It started out as a casual hobby, but I have really gotten a grip on basic mark-up languages. My question is, What modern web designing techniques must I be familiar with to make a living in web design? I am looking for what languages must I be familiar with. It seems in recent years, Just basic mark-up won't cut it anymore.

Look at html5, css3 and jquery. It's always useful for a web designer to be familiar with PHP or ASP as well but not essential.

LearnWebDesign

when i first started webdesign i used asp.net and dreamweaver now i hvae moved onto cms systems, i get about 6 website requests a week and i push them out daily through the use of cms becuase i dont have time to code a contact u box for 15 minutes at a time, with cms systems such as Joomla and Wordpress you enable them with a click of a button so if i was you id look into those options for the sake of prodctivity, and if your good at coding you will find ways to add custom code to your website to make it function even better.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
@learnwebdesign.
a site a day?
thats pretty extreme, (or really basic sites)?

@kitson

css3 and jquery id suggest to improve your game

Last edited:

Websynergi

Its best to decide if you want to be a front end or back end developer, not many people do both well. HTML, CSS and Jquery are the tools I use daily, all my backend functionality is .NET.