What Languages do I need for this task...

trickstur

Hello people,
I have an acquaintance who knows that I've done some web design in the past, and wants me to rework a website for a group she's in. She is having trouble with their existing web developer not contacting them, and planning on starting from scratch.

If it was just the design of the website, and some simple CMS stuff (wordpress), I'd be all good. However, on her existing website she has some additional features she'd like to keep (and update) that I don't have the slightest clue how to approach.

Basically, it's the website is for a local sports team and it can keep track of the players, including different things like stats, and how much they've paid on things (or how much they owe). With the numbers they get, it will do simple calculations for them, and spit everything out to an exportable excel sheet (as well as show it in table form on the website itself). I've done my share of HTML, CSS, and javascript (read: front-side) but I'm not sure how to tackle this...

Does anybody have any direction they can send me in? I'll have several months to get this project up and running (if I get it) but even if I don't, I'd like to expand my skills.

Thanks in advance!

chrishirst

Staff member
With the numbers they get, it will do simple calculations for them, and spit everything out to an exportable excel sheet (as well as show it in table form on the website itself).
ASP.NET would be the easiest server side code to make that happen in, simply because it has Excel functionality built in to the framework. On the other hand PHP has the mathematics and the downloadable output could be in XML which will import into Excel, OpenOffice Calc, LibreOffice Calc etc. as a spreadsheet.

Joomla! has plugins/extensions to embed Google Apps or Google Docs into the documents.

There are far more options around in this day and age for anyone without the time or expertise to "roll their own" when putting complex functions in a HTML document.

Private-I

can't they just have a blog and upload a new spreadsheet with the new stats every week? Seems like a lot of effort to go to designing a custom script for this.

If you do design your own script, think of making it into a bigger online website where for a small fee (or free) any club anywhere in the world an use this script.

Edge

I guess the pertinent question is what platform and CMS is the current site on? What's the URL?

leroy30

ASP.NET would be the easiest server side code to make that happen in, simply because it has Excel functionality built in to the framework. On the other hand PHP has the mathematics and the downloadable output could be in XML which will import into Excel, OpenOffice Calc, LibreOffice Calc etc. as a spreadsheet.

Joomla! has plugins/extensions to embed Google Apps or Google Docs into the documents.

There are far more options around in this day and age for anyone without the time or expertise to "roll their own" when putting complex functions in a HTML document.

Well I agree It would be easiest :) but you can always export as a CSV which excel can open easy enough

reverseengineer

For this I would use Drupal or Joomla!, try to find a module/component that does something close to this and then see how much customization it will require. Custom coding is obviously the bets way to go but will cost most and take longer.