What is your web design process?

I've been doing a lot of research on the Web Design Process and finding out how I should implement it properly.

I'm really curious to know what your process is from start to finish.
If anyone is generous enough to share their process can you please include detailed explanation of each step.

I hope to hear from you all.

Thanks.

CaldwellYSR

Aaronjunited you make some of the strangest posts. Half the time you look like a regular person and the other half you look like a weird spam bot...

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny, I actually had this window open to type, but you know, something good on TV came up so...

it almost always starts with me and the client and a pot of tea and a few hours, a notepad and pen and most importantly my ears. 2hrs should do it...

after that I'll piece a proposal together and PRESENT it to my prospective client. I wont email/post it. I've lost the job if I've done that. if they like it I'll grill them for some more info, and then before a single keystroke is made on the project. draw up a contract with impetus on the SCOPE of the project, and provisos for work that falls "outside of scope" usually an hourly rate.

Not all clients want a responsive design so its a case by case basis but that info is needed to be gathered BEFORE a project begins...retrofitting a website to be responsive is a horrible nightmare. dont do it!!!

if you can, gather content as early as possible. a design built around content is much smoother, but thats not always possible...also any assets the client can provide are worth getting. if they do not have any, or their current "look" is rubbish, offer a rebrand.

set realistic timeframes and keep the client in the loop the entire time. a client who doesnt know whats going on is an unhappy client.

as for the build, this is something everyone differs on. me I sketch the design first, then build in the browser. I create a sprite sheet for buttons and image assets. I build an html wireframe first, then add the css and js. review all the time. I build 50/50 in firefox/webkit (chrome+safari).

pick your battles with legacy browsers.
ie6 I do not support at all, ie7 and ie8 I give a bit of love but leave the bells and whistles off. again this is a personal preference but two quotes I've heard recently. "
When we build for the future, we actually build the future" and
"If you design a site to work with yesterdays browsers it looks like yesterdays website" both are very true.

one of the most important things when building a website for me is testing (and this is pre-testing before the client gets to it.) as its very easy to get too close to a project when you are the sole contributor. I find two testers. 1. A technologically savvy, 24/7 net user and 2. someone you know who "struggles" on the internet. your mum, your partner, a friend, etc. both will find different issues. both will find issues that you wont see. 1. will be UI issues 2. will be UX issues 90% of the time.

always set aside time for testing and crossbrowser. thats always the first thing to get cut when deadlines are looming...

I havent mentioned a great deal about "coding" in this as, to be perfectly honest, it is such a small part of the bigger picture, but code tidy and semantic. if you cant read your code like a book then its messy. it should be easy to read by anyone who will ever need to work on it.

SEO - see above. and then post launch you'll need to NOT put all your eggs in the google basket. a lot of people forget that there are other (more effective) ways to advertise your website but the SEO dinosaurs like you to believe that their "dark art" is something thats worth a million bucks. dont fall for that BS. Once people finally get that all they effectively are doing is burn your money and the net wont be littered with all their tripe. idealistic I know but a man can dream!

Phreaddee, thanks very much, very insightful and helped me a lot. Good idea on the testing side of things.

A few questions if you don't mind, although i will be reading up on them.

What is the scope?

What's an html wireframe? Is this prototyping with html, ie: not using that darn photoshop to create a picture but instead coding the basic look of the site so that some of the coding is already done and its interactive. Or is it using mockingbird or omni-graph i think you call it?

Would basic SEO knowledge help in search engine ranking, could you suggest more effective ways.

Thanks for the reply dude, very much appreciated.

RAJO

web design process is so complicated its very hard that it would be explained i think each and eveyone of us has a point of view on what is the correct web design process you could search it online to find more information, check out this website it might help http://www.utexas.edu/learn/designprocess/

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the scope?

whats included in the quote/brief. eg.
"I want a website with a blog" thats the scope, (obviously simplified)
"I now want to add a forum to my website" out of scope (and charged accordingly)

if you know what is in and what is out of scope you can manage "Feature creep" a lot easier. AND not lose any money.

What's an html wireframe? Is this prototyping with html, ie: not using that darn photoshop to create a picture but instead coding the basic look of the site so that some of the coding is already done and its interactive. Or is it using mockingbird or omni-graph i think you call it?

yeah prototyping, very basic, no bells + whistles, all in the browser, no photoshop at all. no third party programs.

eg. a VERY basic wireframe...
HTML:
<body>
<div id="wrapper">
<header>header goes here</header>
<nav>menu goes here</nav>
<div id="content">content goes here</div>
<footer>footer goes here</footer>
</div>
</body>

then just a bit of css to make it "function" and place where they need to go.

Would basic SEO knowledge help in search engine ranking, could you suggest more effective ways.

<title>
<meta> description (and keywords if you want but its not imperative)
descriptive <h1>
no divitis
semantic html markup
interlinking
use the right tag for the right job.
a well coded, well written site with excellent content that gets updated regularly is all the SEO you need to do on the site.
as for off site, dont try and fool the robots, dont listen to the dickheads who come here and tell you that "Article submission and forum posting = solid quality traffic". it doesnt spam creates spam. traditional advertising kicks googles ass. 300 direct links to your site through say an editorial in the local newspaper will more often than not generate more leads and sales than 3000 random folk trawling through google. if someone has seen your ad, and has taken the time to note your webaddress and then manually type it in, you are already halfway over the line. 99.9% of your google crowd are just bored, robots or your competitors...