What is the professional way to design a website?

encryptedmaniac

Hi, I am a student having basic experience and knowledge with dreamweaver, php, mysql, adobe photoshop, html, etc.

I am learning web designing from someone and i am paying that person quite a lot of money but i doubt if he is teaching me properly. This person wants me to use a lot of photoshop and images, and loads and loads of tables to design my website, basically, this is the website he designed: http://myportf.sitesled.com/index.htm

and he is teaching me to do the same, i wish to design very professional looking websites: www.neckties.com

and i really wish to know what is the proper way of designing a website, if someone could point out and give an overview... e.g. designing a stylesheet, attaching, how would the css work? or am i supposed to make loads of tables?

i just wish to know how it all works... and how powerful is css?

I am trying to learn front-end webdesigning

Last edited:

jnjc

Using tables to layout your web page is considered a real no no, do a google on the subject and you will find plenty of articles explaining why.

There is nothing wrong with using images, providing it is not possible to achieve the same effect with css/html.

Why do you need tuition at all ? Why not just have a crack at creating a page right now ? Design it in Photoshop and then have a go at making it into a page using Dreamweaver. The basic knowledge you have listed should be enough to get you started and there are always people willing to help out on forums etc....

c)solutions

First: how long is this guy already busy teaching you and what is your goal.

Second: making a good design is not something you can just learn or start doing. Some people are just better in it then others. It doenst matter if you know photoshop, mysql, etc, etc. If you dont have feeling for composition, your end user and objective looking at you own designs you just better stop doing with what your doin.

If you could you also wouldnt stepping up to Picasso or Van Gogh to ask how you should paint. They just knew how to do it, nobody told them. Some people are better doctors, others are better constructors and some are just better in designing.

There is no guideline of making a good design or a website. Making a design is depending on your customer, subject, target group, budget, feeling, personal taste, etc. etc.

My tip: start looking at sites and gather which ones you like and dislike. Make for both a list with the do's and donts and use them designing your own website. First start copying elements you like into photoshop. After a while you find yourself mixing styles and changing them to your own style.

When you have a clear photoshop pic, cut it up and put everything in html and css.

Hope we can enjoy some nice designs coming up.