What is the most efficient way to design a website

mike12345

I am about to create my first website and was wondering if I should start with the CSS file first or just start working on the lower rungs of the homepage. I guess my question is should I start from the top up (starting with CSS file) and work my way down or should I go from the bottom to the top. What makes everything go the most smoothly in the long run?

Danielle

I switch from my html file to my css file every div.. and i work from the outer div to the inner div... but everybody has his own way to work :)

leroy30

EDIT: Not every div! My css is re-usable :p

But I am constantly switching. Adding new classes, modifying old ones. Deleting others and refactoring areas as my design evolves.

*Usually* I have a concept done in photoshop first so I know what I'm aiming for.

EDIT of EDIT: Hmm that wasn't really an edit lol

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I generally write all of the HTML I can reasonably foresee writing, and then start styling it, grouping the different areas of the page, i.e., general styles, header, nav, main, sidebar, footer...

I almost never use IDs as selectors, and try to get away without classes as much as possible. I'm freakishly systematic about it all...

GUDVH

I am about to create my first website and was wondering if I should start with the CSS file first or just start working on the lower rungs of the homepage. I guess my question is should I start from the top up (starting with CSS file) and work my way down or should I go from the bottom to the top. What makes everything go the most smoothly in the long run?

CSS + Content + Anything else along the way. Build as you go. Using CSS can save a lot of time, easy to change site wide design, and if correctly apply "Overall" header / footer / sider can help you quick fix at a later time.

That's my advice, and I am sticking to IT!.. ;)

RDB

I would start with HTML first. Get everything positioned where you want. Then style each of your elements in your css file. Test as you go once you are happy then test it on different browsers and screen resolutions.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I start with a prepaid theme and then just change the logo :)
5vjpd.jpg