What is the best way to create your own website?

Shine1

Me and a friend are wanting to create a website to raise money for an organization we are wanting to start to buy things for the families at hospitals who's infants pass away for memories. We are just wondering if anyone has any good ideas on the best way to start with building our own website like which sites are real to build with. Any suggestions would be nice.

flakeparadigm

Well, there are two easy things you can do.

It would really depend on the kind of content you have. I'm thinking you would probably want a CMS though. There are a ton of designs available for Joomla (and Drupal, but not as many) so your options for that are wide open. If you want, you can even create custom designs for yourself, but that is a bit time consuming. Personally Joomla is easier to use while Drupal requires a bit more thinking when you are working with it.

On the hosting side, there are several companies that will host and register your domain in a couple of easy steps. I use 1&1 personally but there are several other good hosts like Host Gator and inmotion Hosting.

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

bluecollar01

I agree with darrenfox - if you're just starting out Wordpress will probably best. You can choose one of the free themes and apply it to your install quickly and easily.

Thanks.

orangecopper

Wordpress should be your answer.

- its easy to install
- free to download
- scalable
- no designing knowledge required
- log of plugins available for ecommerce and what not

below link would give you steps to get wordpress running:
How to install wordpress step by step tutorial

Cheers
Joshu

Cynthia

If you are a beginner to web designing, you can use Microsoft front page, its user friendly environment can provide you tools to maximize the content and design of your

flakeparadigm

Unfortunately Microsoft Front Page is hardly standards compliant and the pages created in it often times don't display well in browsers other than Internet Explorer.

DavidBoon

The site builders are fine. My friend used one through godaddy to put up a website for me and he was able to customize it well although ran into a lot of problems when trying to program a shopping cart. For blogs or other really simple websites I think those site builders are fine.