What is a good, basic web design site/app?

bythecshore

I have a few websites that I'd like to develop for various reasons. For example, one for a son who is an actor and needs a website to post his resume, photos, etc.

What I'm looking for is something simple and straightforward. It would preferably be web-based. I'm good with computers and have a good knowledge of Photoshop and other design tools.

Any ideas, or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Last edited:

webstudent123

I recommend buying a bluehost account-

then do an easy 'simple script' install of either 'Joomla' or 'Wordpress'- They are both fairly easy to install. Bluehost even has very good 'how-to' videos on how to install. Y

ou can then easily integrate templates which are numerous and free, and editing the content is user friendly-

Wordpress is the new and trendy, for good reason.

webstudent123

also, with bluehost you can host an infinate amount of

sites on the same account, they're only stipulation is you can only have 200,000 total files on your account- Otherwise unlimited storage space for about $80 pr year.

bythecshore

then do an easy 'simple script' install of either 'Joomla'

I tried creating a site with Joomla a few years ago, and found it confusing. As I recall, it was difficult to control what elements appeared on which pages. And creating a new page was difficult; they use a different metaphor than pages, which I never completely understood.

So I'll check out Wordpress or Bluehost... thanks.

FreshFishDesign

Go for Wordpress

I'd say try Wordpress, you shouldn't go too far wrong. You also have a wide range of free themes which you can use to change the layout and appearance of your site.

I don't know about GoDaddy specifically but there are a number of free sitebuilder tools out there. I've never seen a site built with one that didn't look amateur.

And with that in mind, I have to say that you should really look to get a professional to design and build your site. Home-made sites tend to look, well, home-made and doing it yourself probably won't convey the best impression to your users. The beauty of something like Wordpress is that you can get a professional to design it but you can maintain it.