What i need to know

stojanovic

Hi, im a beginner, what types of code do i need to know in order to create a website? to make flash webites and just ordinary websites without flash?

Phidev

Well, it really depends on what you want.
If you want to create "simple" websites, you can go with Dreamweaver, but at some point you will run into "it is not what I want" situations

I would recommend you to read tutorials in HTML, CSS, and PHP.

You will find plenty of them with a google query

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basics: HTML, CSS and Javascript

Advanced: PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails and ColdFusion

At the bare minimum you will want to learn HTML and CSS. With these you will be able to create a basic static web site. For dynamic features you will want to have a look at Javascript and one of the advanced languages I listed. Most will recommend you to take the PHP route. I won't be making any recommendations here. Have a look into each and choose which ever suites your needs best and you feel most comfortable with. Each one has it's pros and cons.

For tutorials have a look at: www.w3schools.com

Personally I prefer learning from books. Have a look at www.sitepoint.com for some of the best.

Good luck!

conor

yes i agree - learn HTML and CSS first. Don't plunge into them and try learning to may at once though, learning a new language takes time.

On the subject of JavaScript - I wouldn't really consider it a beginers language. I found PHP much easier to learn than JavaScript. In fact at the moment I am pretty familuar with PHP and I am still begining JavaScript. PHP is a good steping stone for JavaScript aswell, some things are very simular between them - and yet somethings are very different ! :) Bascially once you know one programing language then you will find it a hell of a lot easier to learn a second.

But for now i recomend just HTML and then CSS

Geodun1

Programming languages relate like the Latin languages do. They have similar words, word uses, definitions, etc, but have different grammatical structures and some small words changed that cause the language to be different due to it's regional use.

Erni

Hm... When I have faced with such problem - what do I need in order to make a web site, I have made a simple thing - I have found a job of PHP developer. First 3 job offers were ended on test task failure. The forth one - was my last.
So... If you like some extremal learning find someone who will force you to.

kim@loadedmedia

I agree with starting with HTML and CSS. Also, you do not require any special program to build a website. You can use a basic text editor like Notepad.

richgcs

Try using WordPress. All you need to know is how to install it. Some of the web hosting providers already have tools to install WordPress. Once installed you dont need to know HTML or CSS. Just start editing content.

If you dont want to bother with WordPress and/or HTML you can use a site builder.