What do you want from ur web host

leighmcc

I operate a Web Hosting service, and I'm interested in finding out what people really want in a web host. Post your suggestions here.

Cheers,
Leigh McCulloch

ian

Administrator
Staff member
A company that has a long established track record, is financially secure, owns their own data center and offers good customer service at reasonable prices.

leighmcc

A company that has a long established track record, is financially secure, owns their own data center and offers good customer service at reasonable prices.

What do you see is the advantage with a company owning their own data center? Wouldn't it be better if a hosting company outsourced their server hosting to a company that specialized in just server hosting?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
a hosting company that owns their own datacenter has much control over their resources and is likely to have a better understanding of how everything works together. such a company is also more likely to be standing securely on both feet with a long established track record.

leighmcc

If a company owns their own datacenter, yes it looks good. But it isn't proof of those things. I operate a web hosting service and don't own the data centre my servers are hosted in. I've worked for a large web host before, and they also didn't own the data centre. Outsourcing to a data centre allows a web host to spend more money on its technical support I think. Plus then we can put our servers in awesome data centers that have everything from generators that'll run for days, to security guards, top of the line fire extinsion equipment.

I can see though how a company owning its own datacenter gives it more credit though.

Do trial periods or money back periods matter to those interested in web hosting do you think?

a hosting company that owns their own datacenter has much control over their resources and is likely to have a better understanding of how everything works together. such a company is also more likely to be standing securely on both feet with a long established track record.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i disagree to a certain extent. i do realize that it isn't a guarantee for anything.

money back guarantees are great when dealing with new companies that i have no prior experience with. i couldn't really care less about trial periods though. others might feel differently though.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
For me, them owning their own data center means they are of considerable financial size, more likely to be around for longer, and most importantly will be able to handle any of my increased requirements as my sites grow bigger.

Saiduchi

I want to look at the technical support, their features ( what are they offering) and their forums. If i have a problem at least i can go to the forums and find someone who has the same problem as me, or i can post a problem about it. I found it really helpful if there's a forum provided. It shows the hosting provider is trying to do something to help.