What do you reccommend for this mock up?

mjrzasa

Hey , I ave drawn this up for some website I would liek to do for my group of friends, basically it came up because we like to make predictions on sports all the time, so tell me what you think about the design, as well as how YOU would make this come to life in developing (php, wordpress, etc). What is the best way to do this, i know basic HTML and CSS. Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/pboardmockup.png/

Attachments

• pboard mock up.jpg
    pboard mock up.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

barricades

I recommend php for this.

There's any number of tutorials out there telling you how to build a simple user login system. You will have to figure things out and learn a bit about databases but as I say there's loads of tutorials out there to guide you. Thats how I learned.

Also the design looks pretty good. You're not going to win any design contests but your friends will hardly care! Looks like a great idea.

You could also check sourceforge.net which is a repository of open source software, someone may have already made a kickass version of what you want, which would save you a lot of headaches :)

good luck

mjrzasa

Thanks, but the main thing I want is the comment part of it, I could do without users login if possible.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
realistically, with that site, it looks like everything you want could easily be acheived with a cms like wordpress.

mjrzasa

Ok, so I understand I download Wordpress from wordpress.org , but then I'm kinda confused, I'm suppose to install it to the server? I'm sorry if I am asking basic questions but I really want to do this and understand it well so I won't have questions in the future.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Install on server. Set up a mysql database. Google how to make custom wordpress templates. Take your design and create the html css based on the parameters you found from your search. Implement your new template. Populate the content. It might appear daunting but its very well documented. Expect your first attempt to be shite. Work slowly and methodically. Come back here if you have issues.
@cpetersgroup. Start your own thread.

mjrzasa

Again, sorry to be so... noobie.. but I kinda need step by step help. So I first need a web domain (www?) and a host company? Then I don't even know. Really sorry but I only have a few websites currently through my cable company (comcast)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hosting first. Your host will give you a staging site that you can work on. Testsite.hostingcompany.com. Best to build it first. Then get your domain, and point it to your hosting.

mjrzasa

ah ok, i heard lunarpages.com is good, what do you think?
So I get hosted, then install wordpress on "testsite.hostingcompany.com"? Then I code my own template like coding HTML from scratch?

hodephdesign

It might not be worth the hassle of coding your own template. There are loads of free WordPress templates that are really nice that would only need a little modification to suit your needs.