Weird/Difficult Question

jcb08j

Ok, so I am pretty new to web design and am having trouble with something. On my webpage, which I am creating in dreamweaver, I have a box which I want to update weekly with different text. However, I want the box/text to be constant throughout all the different pages on the site but I don't want to have to edit every single html page every time I change the text. I thought maybe I could do this with a css page but I am getting very confused with it and thinking maybe the css is just for formatting, not specific text? So is there a way I can direct every page to a separate html file that I can edit just once and it will show the text in this box on every single page? not like an href because I don't want a link but for it to actually show the text itself.

Sorry if this is really confusing, it's late and I've been designing all day.

Thanks guys.

DOAWebDesigns

Nope

I've already coded the entire site in html, will it be hard to implement word press or another CMS now? sorry if this is a stupid question

It shouldn't be hard depending on the design. Wordpress codec is easy to follow and you best bet for starters would be to use a shell type theme. Basically a plain Jane theme that you can learn off of for your first time.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're averse to using a CMS at this point, there are a number of other options. You could use php includes. You would change the file extension of your html files to .php. Then, you just put the text in its own file and include this little bit in all of your pages where you want the content to show up:
<?php include("content.php"); ?>
You can do this with everything on the page that stays the same, like your nav, header, footer, the entire <head>...</head> area, etc.

There's also the jQuery .load() function, which does the same thing, but uses the jQuery javascript library.

A CMS would be best if you're talking about a client site or massive, frequent updates, but if you're just wanting to change your own content once a week, this should be easy enough to maintain.

DOAWebDesigns

I agree

If you're averse to using a CMS at this point, there are a number of other options. You could use php includes. You would change the file extension of your html files to .php. Then, you just put the text in its own file and include this little bit in all of your pages where you want the content to show up:
<?php include("content.php"); ?>
You can do this with everything on the page that stays the same, like your nav, header, footer, the entire <head>...</head> area, etc.

There's also the jQuery .load() function, which does the same thing, but uses the jQuery javascript library.

A CMS would be best if you're talking about a client site or massive, frequent updates, but if you're just wanting to change your own content once a week, this should be easy enough to maintain.

I agree with you 100%.

Doing include would be your best bet if your not fully inclined to using a CMS. It's also good in terms of SEO as well. This would be the easiest thing to do in your current situation.

jcb08j

Thanks guys! the php include works like a charm. although it was a pain in the ass going back to every single one of my pages and changing all the redirects and everything to php even with the find and replace function. But great help!