website size

kellogs908

One of the most important things about a website is the size, obviously I don't want it too big or too small, I have been told from numerous sources that 700px wide is what it should be. The thing is, how do I get it to automatically expand to fit a persons resolution, do I have a background the size of 1260 and then the actual content 700 wide, is there code i can insert to make it automatically adjust. I have messed around with some ideas (Im using dreamweaver) but if I start on a wrong foundation I am afraid I will have to redo everything. Any help is much appreciated.

jnjc

The thing to remember about a website is that you don't know what hardware/software a user will use to access it. So the size of the page is related to the resolution of the monitors that will be viewing it. It is sort of excepted that the minimum resolution to support i5 800X600. The 600 part is usually ignored because vertical scrollbars are pretty much the norm on a site, but you don't want your users to have horizontal scrollbars. Therefore your site shouldn't be any wider that about 750px to enable it to be viewable on most resolutions.

This is why a lot of sites have free space to the left or right (because most people are now running at higher resolutions).

So when it comes to designing a site your first decision is, do I use fixed width or percentages ? If you use fixed width the site will look pretty much the same irregardless of what the monitor resolution is, you'll just have more used space the higher the resolution.

Your other choice is to use percentages to define your widths. This means that your elements will size themselves based on the resolution of the screen, therefore eliminating the unused space on higher resolutions.

I won't go into the pros and cons of each in detail (I could be typing all day), but for my money if your site is heavy on graphics or has a complex layout (or you what to make life simple) you are safer going to a fixed width otherwise your layout could go off the wall depending on the resolution it is viewed in.

If you have a text rich site then percentages could be useful.

HTH,
JC

suz

jnjc you really have to start a web design blog if you don't have one already. You are very good at explaining things.