Website redesign - Is ranking lost?

schaak

First post guys so forgive my ignorance...

My company website currently is ranked very well within Google, so im not complaining.

I am planning on a redesign of the site just to give it a facelift as it is looking a little outdated. What are the repercussions in doing this? Do I lose might site ranking and need to start climbing the ladder again?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

schaak

Thank you very much - thats really helpful!!

I'll make sure the developers follow these rules as closely as possible :)

hkjeffchan

Golden Rule: Make sure you "301 redirect" all the old link to the new link.
If you want to rewrite your content, think twice! Your site rank well for a reason! I suggest you to add all the old content as a "blog" page and "301 redirect" the old URL to the new blog link.
Hope this help!

Absolution

I don't think updated pages will harm the website's ranking at all; Google is far more concerned about content and updates than code (in this way a redesign might actually help the update factor). Just make sure the old links remain active, or go someplace that is still active.

hosamdeen

You will surely lose you ranking, I've tried it before. You either use 301 redirect as hkjeffchan suggested or you leave your site as it is and build a new site with different domain and then transfer visitors to it.

johny.12

I'll make sure the developers follow these rules as closely as possible Damn thats not good - anyway around this?

plusoner

if it is a synthetic update rather than a rebuild of the existing system so that links remain the same there shouldn't be any affect but if it is a new build and new content then yes you will take a hiding for the short term. you may need to do some link building and some social media promotions to build your rank back up again. you will climb back gradually.