Website File security - Browsers can view but cannot copy or download

wrazoru

Hi Everyone, Hope i'm posting in the correct forum...My apologizes if not...

I'm looking for a 3rd party website solution & i have tried Scribd & Google+/GoogleDocs but they don't quite have what i'm looking for...

Essentially, the purpose is for only paid viewers to access the information via the web so that they cannot share to others who have not paid for the access.

I would like to have viewable on the web some files to only invited individuals....so a private web access. Files would be only text, links & a few images. Video & flash is not necessary.

Only invitees can view the page & they cannot forward the page to anyone else. Ideally, they cannot copy the text either. Scribd has this function, however even private pages on Scribd can have URLs forwarded easily.

Of course tech savvy individuals can always get around web security measures...but it's intended just for the general user.

Ideally I would like to use a third party website like Scribd or GoogleDocs rather than code it from scratch.

Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks,
Razor

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
Never going to happen.

To read an 'on-line' document it HAS to be downloaded to the local machine, usually to the system "temp" folder. You can of course put the documents behind a login requirement but if people "share" their login details there is little or nothing you can do about it, and the more securities you put in the way, the less likely it is that people will actually use the website.

wrazoru

Never going to happen.

To read an 'on-line' document it HAS to be downloaded to the local machine, usually to the system "temp" folder. You can of course put the documents behind a login requirement but if people "share" their login details there is little or nothing you can do about it, and the more securities you put in the way, the less likely it is that people will actually use the website.

Hi ChrisHirst, Agreed on all your points...And if they really wanted, there's always screen capture too.

However, the viewers will have already paid for the content...so these are people who definitely WILL want to access it. We are trying to find a solution to 'lock down' the content as much as possible so that non-tech people will not be able to forward the information.

Whether it's a document (eg. pdf) or not we are not concerned. The content can be delivered in any form. Our main objective is to lock down the content as much as possible.

Hope this clarifies the problem.

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
good luck locking down a pdf.

create a secure area on the website.
save the info as html pages.
sure they can copy n paste.
but thats about as "locked down" as you are probably going to get.

and chris is right. very right. the more levels of "security" you have on content 1. the less likely people are going to use the service and 2. the more likely people are going to try and "share" it.

leroy30

What about silverlight or xbap? You could hide it behind a login and do some fancy tricks to prevent copying and pasting the text so the best they could do is a screenshot which won't retain the edit-ability and quality. That way they can't just save the rendered HTML either because it isn't html.

Or even Flash.

GabrielNar

Hope this would help.

This is what I did renamed the document as well as relinked it as well as every thing gone without problems following that. Therefore first thing I'd personally accomplish can be have a look at ones joined records record and see in case you'll find just about any unusual figures in the filenames... as soon as you correct those it will correct your problem.

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com

Good luck!

wrazoru

good luck locking down a pdf.

create a secure area on the website.
save the info as html pages.
sure they can copy n paste.
but thats about as "locked down" as you are probably going to get.

and chris is right. very right. the more levels of "security" you have on content 1. the less likely people are going to use the service and 2. the more likely people are going to try and "share" it.

Hi Phreaddee, yes, there will always be a way to capture the info...but the viewers have already paid for the content & most of them probably won't have the time to "TRY" sharing it. We're just looking for a solution that will prevent easy sharing...

Thanks for yr input...Cheers...