Website Design Critique, please.

JakClark

Hello, all.

I joined WDF, that of about 6 months ago (November, or something, last year).

In the short space in which I played an active role on the forum (that of a week or two), I asked for a couple of reviews, for some designs I had made. Understandably, I was a little more naive, back then, and in-experienced.

However, in the short time I have been away, 'hard at it', on the computer, I feel my work has shown a little improvement.

Today, I wouldn't mind it, if someone could review my work, a little. It's a design, at this current moment - I haven't yet developed the website. And, I've designed only the index - which is what I shall post for you to see, today.

Please, feel free to tear it apart! I must have honest opinions ;).

JkpZV.jpg

Many thanks,
~Jak

Last edited:

HTML Egg

I like it. If I have to suggest for ideas for improvement, maybe consider the bottom edge of the header. It's neat to have the pattern...but I feel like it would be awesome if that same pattern can be reflected from other sections of the page too, it gives it more consistency.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
actually I'd have to disagree with that last post. I think it is just enough having that pattern within the header. and the simplicity (and I mean that in a GOOD way) of your design would be lost as it would begin to be quite busy if it was duplicated elsewhere.

Youv'e got a nice grid too which you are working with, although I'd slightly tighten up the right columns to get a nice downward visual balance there as well. mainly the top content box i'd line the edge of the pic up with the edge of the second column in the bottom section.

nice usage of whitespace and a tasteful colour-set. nice work. be good to see how it translates into a live website tho.

helloworld

Great design.. very pleasing to the eye. For someone just starting out as you say.. you're totally caught up with today's web design trends.
To give some criticism.. the entire design/color scheme/layout does get lost in a lot of other sites out there.

dwhs

I like it, simple clean modern. I might add a play video link or something a little more interactive for people to use. Also I don't really see a path set, it's good to help people in the path you want them to go to on your site.