webdesign for 15inch screen looks different with 19 inch screen. how to solve?

Slash

Can anybody help me with the following.
I design websites (amateur/hobby's) and make them in resolution 1024x768 on a 15 inch screen. Now i looked at the design on a 19 inch screen, and nothing (text/pictures) within the frame was on it's right place. Is it possible to reset the 19 inch screen so that the website will look as it should be? I already tried to set the screen at 1024x768 but the problem still occur.
note: please excuse me for my bad english, but i'm just a guy from holland!

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_essex

Maybe?

I'm not the best guy in the world at this but i did have a similar problem a little while ago. I couldn't get the sizes right for smaller screens. The advice that I was given was to set your page out in tables that will adjust in relation to percentages.
Each table will then resize to fit the size of page that is trying to look at your site. Eg, If you insert a table and edit the width to 100 percent or just under, then add tables inside that one and split them and divide them or whatever to make smaller boxes to put your info and pictures in. Then whatever screen you look at it on, and no matter what their screen resolution is, the tabes should all rezize to 100 percent/the size of the screen.

This in my mind is still theory to me, I am still trying to figure out how to do this myself but I am getting there and I am finding new things out everyday from just playing about with different settings.

Give it a go. It seems to work, just takes time trying to get your head round it all. Am I right guys??

gateshosting

Screen Sizes

Hey guys!

Actually, screen SIZE has nothing to do with it. Resolution is where it's at. I design at about 740-760 wide. This way, everyone can see the site the same way. I always use tables for my designs. I have a main table keeping the width to 760 and then of course height doesn't matter. Take a look at my clients page, most of my designs are like that - Client Page.

Now, if it is a text based site, I create a table that is 100% wide so that the text can be read without scrolling. I don't really do this kind of work though.

Remember, lots of people still use 600x800. When I started all screens were 640 x 480, haha.

Good luck,

Michael C. Gates
Send Large Files with GatesHosting.com

Graham

Yeah it's ok creating it small so that everyone can see it, including people on small resolutions, but I'm on 1280 x 1024 and it looks tiny! So I think if you use tables and set the width to percentages it would be alot better.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not the best guy in the world at this but i did have a similar problem a little while ago... The advice that I was given was to set your page out in tables that will adjust in relation to percentages... Am I right guys??

No. Don't build your site with tables; this is not their intended purpose. A "liquid" layout (one that stretches with browser/resolution changes) should still utilize page divisons (divs) and use percentages for width/height. Roughly speaking.

learn css :)

Yes! CSS is your wingman to quality web development. Period.

Hey guys!

Actually, screen SIZE has nothing to do with it. Resolution is where it's at. I design at about 740-760 wide...
Remember, lots of people still use 600x800. When I started all screens were 640 x 480, haha.

You are absolutely correct, it has more to do with resolution than monitor size. However, the most common resolution setting today is 1024x768, so shooting for 800x600 is not the best idea. You're shooting yourself in the foot right out of the gate. A 760 layout is going to promote more scrolling, and it is way too narrow for today's standards.

The most universal layout today, imo is 960. It encompasses for scrollbars on a 1024 res, which still allows all content to fit cleanly within the window.

So, OP, I would restructure you website template to a 960 platform. This will work well on a 15" screen and any other larger ones. I just built a site with this layout and it fits a 11" screen and still looks good on a 27".

Good luck, let us know if you need help.