Web site for musician

leeniekat

Hi, I've been asked by a friend to help him design his website. The following things are important to him:
  • a message board
  • space to upload his music
  • chat capability
  • journal/blogging
  • PHP
  • web based file manager (not ftp only)
This is the first time I'm ever helping a musician with his site, and I don't know exactly how much space and bandwith to look for. He'll probably be uploading 60 to 90 second clips of his songs in mp3 format. As of right now, we're estimating 15 songs, but more will come in the future. I know that as far as an iPod is concerned, 1 GB=240 songs, so there has to be some formula I can't put my finger on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hosts/amounts of bandwith and space?

Thank you so much!
Leenie :p :D :)

StephanieCordray

i guess a formula would be

the size of the file (s) x the number of downloads = data transfer usage ... for those files alone

You'll have to estimate the expected amount of traffic and possible downloads if this is a brand new site so it might take a month or so to fine tune it to what will be needed plus you'll want room to grow. If the group is good they'll become more popular over time.

plus i'm sure you'll have some images and other graphics as well as the forum, the blogs and so forth will require some data transfer and how much will also depend on the amount of traffic you expect.

All in all, given what the friend wants to do with the site, you might as well look for a very large hosting plan because the clips alone will eat up allotted data transfer quickly. mp3 format can be compressed and edited for the smallest possible file sizes but still won't be very small. He might want to think about cutting those clips to 30 seconds or below as well. Most songs are from 120- 180 seconds (2-3 minutes) long. half that would be giving away a whole lot of song, you know? He really wants to give them just enough to want to hear more plus save some of his usage.

leeniekat

thank you so for your response! I'll definitely advise him to limit the length of the clips, you make a very good point!

Actually, I just noticed that you are from Nashville - this is a musician local to you, formerly of one of the Wildhorse house bands.