web page edit. help needed.

markarman

hi,

this is gonna sound real strange, but here goes.

long story is:- our office phones are acting up and we cannot receive calls, eircom have set up a temporary phone number which is diverting to our phones, all good except our customers do not know this new temporary number. so we would like to put a not on the front page of the website which say " please note we are having problems with our telephone lines please use this temporary number until further notice 123456789"

now, the i.t. bod from our office has gone on holidays for 2 weeks, and although i have access to his desktop,(and could probably find the password(if thats what its called))to access our website and edit the front page, i have absolutely no idea how to do this. nor what i am looking for.

so my question is this.

assuming i have full access to the web page how can i put a message on the front page.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

please remember i have no idea about web page set up or design or anything, so a step by step guide would be most useful.

thanks all

markarman

jnjc

It should be easy enough. What you'll need to do is put together a piece of HTML that says what you want and then put it somewhere near the top of the page. The HTML should probably look like this:

Code:
<div style="font-size:18px;font-weight:bold;color:red">Please Note Due To Technical Difficulties Our Phone Number is 999</div>

Then you need to find the FTP user name and password for your site. Your ISP should be able to provide if you can't get it elsewhere. Use FTP to download a copy of the index.html (or .html or .php) and insert your piece of code. Then upload the new version of the index file to the site.

If you provide the url of your site I can provide more detailed information about the best place to put the code etc.

HTH,
JC