Web Development Question

kemiy

Hello,

Earlier this year. I setup a Wordpress website for a company who "needed their site done yesterday" and I had to purchase licenses for plugins directly to expedite the process when the client / owner were unavailable. From the very beginning the new site was handling six figures worth of sales monthly, but getting paid by the client / owner was always a struggle. Last month they stopped communicating, cut off my access to the Wordpress Dashboard and don't seem willing to pay my balance.

I informed them they should scourer their site to make sure all plugins and software is licensed in their names because I was uninterested in paying for any software necessary for their site operations if I would not be reimbursed. I also informed them I would deactivate / disconnect items I paid for and this could have an impact on their site operations.

Like a fool, I had no contract.

Now the legal question, if I follow through on my intention to disconnect items in my name and their site operations are affected / goes offline am I opening myself up to legal liabilities if they lose business? They have asked me which plugins would be impacted and I let them know I am no longer willing to perform additional work free of charge, but they have access to the Wordpress Dashboard and should be able to figure it out.

Thoughts?

kemiy

Hello,

Earlier this year. I setup a Wordpress website for a company who "needed their site done yesterday" and I had to purchase licenses for plugins directly to expedite the process when the client / owner were unavailable. From the very beginning the new site was handling six figures worth of sales monthly, but getting paid by the client / owner was always a struggle. Last month they stopped communicating, cut off my access to the Wordpress Dashboard and don't seem willing to pay my balance.

I informed them they should scourer their site to make sure all plugins and software is licensed in their names because I was uninterested in paying for any software necessary for their site operations if I would not be reimbursed. I also informed them I would deactivate / disconnect items I paid for and this could have an impact on their site operations.

Like a fool, I had no contract.

Now the legal question, if I follow through on my intention to disconnect items in my name and their site operations are affected / goes offline am I opening myself up to legal liabilities if they lose business here https://www.veprof.com? They have asked me which plugins would be impacted and I let them know I am no longer willing to perform additional work free of charge, but they have access to the Wordpress Dashboard and should be able to figure it out.

Thoughts?
thanks in advance for any help