web design - where is it headed?

conor

Hi

I just want to ask peoples opinions on where web design is headed in the future. I want to know what software people use and why?

Most designers these days are using programs like dreamweaver, flash CS3 and CMS such as joomla. If you use this software then why do you use it, do you pay much attention to the quality of the code, or if it looks ok then will it "do the job"?

These days everyone is borrowing pre-written code for their sites, like the jQuery library for example. Are there any designers out there that still write sites purely with self generated code and with little or no help from code writing programs?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Dreamweaver, but I do not have it generate code for me. Honestly, I don't know why I use Dreamweaver, I have just been using it for so many years that that is what I am used to I guess.

sheanhoxie

Using prewritten code helps people get started without having to reinvent the wheel, and since its shared a lot of people pour through it and help update with security patches etc.

I write all my html and css by hand since I know what is going into it and how it will (or should) behave. When I used to use dreamweaver I would find it inserting all sorts of tags which I had no use for or were deprecated.

rarepearldesign

I write all my own code except for some ajax stuff already available open-source. Not because I can't write it, just because there is no need to recreate the wheel.

Mootools and jQuery are great examples of open source scripts that can bring a lot to your site with little work. Although I use these, I have gone through the source code to ensure they are written well, and they are.

I never leave generated code in my sites, I use Visual Studio in the code view only, never the designer view.

I've always hated auto-generated code because I come from an enterprise background where every line of code absolutely has to be perfect and optimized, so it carries over into my websites where everything has to be perfect and optimized.

adx

I use Dreamweaver, but I do not have it generate code for me. Honestly, I don't know why I use Dreamweaver, I have just been using it for so many years that that is what I am used to I guess.

Same here, I can write the code myself, but auto completion, automatic color coding, and of course a bit of search and destroy really cuts down on time :)

I do occasionally enjoy the design view if I need to change a color or something. Hex codes ==> minds eye = mind boggling! I hate colors :rolleyes:

superaff

I use Dreamweaver myself. Not sure why I love it but have been utilizing it for eons already. Makes it easy to manipulate since I have been so familiar with it.:)

inline853

I write all of my code by hand. If I reuse code, its because I've already written it before. I either write it in Notepad, or if I'm on one of my computers with Dreamweaver, than I will use that because it has the predictive tag thingy.

The exception would be jQuery which is an extensive JavaScript Library. I don't think we need to recreate the wheel every time jQuery, so that would be the only time I don't write my code.

I make sure my code validates if the client asks for it. If they don't I still go out of my way to make the site accessible and follow web standards closely. A good website will have structured code. The code need to be semantic, and not all over the place. "Looking good" isn't the point, "working well" is.

I recently wrote a blog post about the future of the web, and Web 3.0 . Enjoy!

What is Web 3.0?

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always been a Dreamweaver advocate. Been using it since the MX version when it was still under Macromedia. I also like the "predictive tag thingy" when writing code, speeds things up. I almost always stick to the code view. Recently I have been using Visual Studio at work, which is also a great tool, plus they make Express editions which are free (but with limited options).

LouTheDesigner

I wish web design was more predictable. I happened to LOVE Adobe GoLive before I was pushed into using Dreamweaver by my university. I like Dreamweaver now, but GoLive was freakin awesome. The grid feature beat the crap out of AP DIVs.

wade635

Content management systems are certainly an important part of the future of the web. Databases in particular. With the deep search movement gearing up Im sure the way information is written and stored will have to change or be modified for optimal results in a deep search situation. Maybe not, but the web is certainly going to continue to become more dynamic, which will again, rely heavily on databases.