Web Design question

DxG Aqua

I've been looking into becoming a web designer, I like the whole process of making sites and what not. I was wondering if anyone knows how much a web designer gets paid for making a site, and for maintaining it.
Thanks

kcruss

It depends on what your worth and your abilities... Its really up to you but Ive seen deals done for $100 up to $9000.00 per site... Just depends on time and the function of the site.

-Cal
http://www.rdstudios.us

YOXIM

It depends on what your worth and your abilities... Its really up to you but Ive seen deals done for $100 up to $9000.00 per site... Just depends on time and the function of the site.

-Cal
http://www.rdstudios.us

Yeah, I usually average about $500 per project, sometimes more, depending on the content, functionality, purpose, and things like that. Also depends on how much work needs to be put into that particular site. You have to know your worth, and you have to stand by it. If you quote someone $500 for a site, and they think it's too expensive, yet you think it's justified, you have to stick to your guns. Because if you go "OK, then I'll charge you less money for the same thing", they'll feel like you were trying to rip them off. You should never haggle, because you will always lose.

I've personally had all kinds of experiences with clients, some extremely positive, others extremely negative, but I've learned something valuable from each and every one. I've lost money because I wasn't steadfast and determined. I always try to get things done in as polite and professional manner as possible, but if that doesn't work, I have no problem with being an asshole too. I consider what I do art, and as an artist, I really hate putting a dollar value on my work, but it's a necessary evil, and even though I really never enjoy talking about money, I do what needs to be done.

Best advice I can offer anyone wanting to get into the business is to know exactly what you are capable of, never take on a project you are not absolutely sure you can finish, and never turn down a project because you think there isn't enough money involved. Those projects are exactly the kind of things that almost always lead to bigger and more profitable projects down the road.

SyncInteractive

The web design industry has huge variability in terms of skill and pay levels. This is largely due to the relative ease of designing websites. High school kids can design a website. So it really depends on the market you want to reach, and the expertise you want to offer.

Do you want to design $100 websites for small mom and pop start-ups selling hand-made bird houses or flower arrangements? Or do you you want to design sites for mid-level companies? Or do you want to move your web design business more in the direction of brand design, brand management, and online marketing for larger companies?

Our company works with regional-sized organizations: Wine Boards, Departments of Transportation, Art Museums, State Universities, and we've done work with MSN and Microsoft. At these caliber of organizations, they look to us for branding, marketing, Interactive, and database application integration. These are serious projects which require people experienced in high-caliber graphic design and branding, software engineering, and marketing. Projects range anywhere from $10K - $500K and more. Depending on your skill level, you could earn anywhere from $50K-$110K / year as an employee in a good web design company.

c)solutions

As a junior webdesigner dont expect to be earning 50K from te start. You have to get some experience and build up your portfolio and skills. You start with the small deals (i find $100 a bit to less to even press on enter) and develop yourself to take the bigger assignments.

I dont agree with SyncInteractive, Highschool kids can build a website, just a couple of them can actually design them.

We have been doing deals from 3500 euro till 75.000 euro's. Its just depending on the amount of content, the structure of the site, what kind of design, special wishes of the customer, etc. etc.

Its easy to start developing yourself in the area of graphic design and then make the step to become a web designer.

bobprog

Yes, c)solutions you are totally right and I wish to add it is vey hard to say definitely how much is the web design. Everything depends on details and client desires. Neverthrless, if you are looking for cheap design service, be attentive and do remember never give up, there are many web design studios, who offer acceptable service!!!:)

hosted_web

It depends on a number of things

Hi,

You need to consider a number of things before setting yourself up as a web designer.

What can you do? Who are your target customers? Can you program from scratch or do you use templates?

You need to know what your doing, there are a lot of cowboys out there and you don't want to become known as one. If you don't have a portfolio then i would suggest doing a few `cheap` or even free websites for friends and family to demonstrate your ability's then go from there.

Last edited: