Web Design Curriculum

LouTheDesigner

Hello everyone,

So I decided on making web design (from A - Z) tutorials on youtube. I already do this, but I'm looking to make a series (part 1, part 2, etc.) that goes through all the skills that you need in order to become a web designer. The end result would be a step by step walkthrough that will lead the viewers into being a complete beginner to a professional (at least 3000 videos).

So, my question for you guys is, how would you format your curriculum so that it is practical.

Here is my idea of doing the tutorials in this order of categories:

- HTML
- Basic web-related photoshop skills (cropping, changing dpi, etc.)
- FTP Clients (for both mac and windows)
- CSS
- Firebug
- Small amount of Javascript
- jQuery
- PHP with SQL (including how to host a site locally)
- Wordpress
- .NET with C#

This is the way I learned web development. Any other suggestions regarding the ordering? Right now this is just a rough outline I wrote up on the spot.

Thanks!

-Lou

DHDdirect

What made you decide to go with YouTube verses typed content such as a blog?

I've always been partial to text where it is printable or at least saved to file because it's easier to reference but I do know some prefer video to see each click and so forth.

I think the order looks about right. Will you be covering a few different types of html editors and which one you prefer and why?

No Flash in the mix? hehe.. I had to say it.

Last edited:

LouTheDesigner

What made you decide to go with YouTube verses typed content such as a blog?

I've always been partial to text where it is printable or at least saved to file because it's easier to reference but I do know some prefer video to see each click and so forth.

I think the order looks about right. Will you be covering a few different types of html editors and which one you prefer and why?

No Flash in the mix? hehe.. I had to say it.

Anyone can go to w3schools and learn through text... most people will (i think) prefer video tutorials such as the ones created at lynda.com because videos will help explain a lot of what I don't say. I can imagine the amount of people that respond by saying, "where is that window in CS4?", for example. I tutor some students that actually say "What did you click on just now to get to that window?" It will fill in a lot of speech gaps.

It would also (considering the volume of videos) be a lot easier on me to create videos rather than text files.

Also, some people are just "visual learners." -- i refer to these people as 'stupid'; but hey, there's a market for it.

I wasn't sure where I should incorporate Flash, considering (a) I'm a professional Flash developer and (b) Somebody can learn flash without knowing much about HTML. I think Flash may be a different series of its own. I don't want to teach AS3 along with javascript, for example. It would be just strange to teach in the same series. Furthermore, although I'm the quickest Flash developer that I know, I would want my "students" to know how to get things done without flash (through combination of HTML5, javascript libraries, and CSS). I say that mainly for iPad compatibility.

HOWEVER, when I went to download CS5.5, an adobe representative actually tried convincing me that Flash 5.5 will allow export for HTML. I found out that it's bullocks (as expected) and I call the sales reps everyday just to hear them confirm this nonsense. I call them out on it, and they put me on hold until THEY hang up.

Thanks though,

-Lou

Last edited:

DHDdirect

I agree with all your points of the video tutorials and that is what I was assuming anyway but to pose the question is to make one think more deeply of the decision.

I also agree with Flash being a seperate series altogether. Most dismiss Flash in these forums but I still feel it has a small place in web design. Flash has certainly been misused in the web world by non-professionals but so has HTML and no one suggests abandoning that because well you can't. Not to mention ActionScript is a fairly difficult language to understand it's usually much easier now a days to use other methods such as jquery so it is a good choice to teach every things else before Flash/Actionscript.

As far as browsers not supporting Flash well a mobile version of a site should be designed striping flash and in most cases images and fancy code if you want to reach this audience anyway.

RoboticPro

Maybe different browser use, do's and don't in webdesign? and porting to a mobile size.
That's all I can think of right now.

LouTheDesigner

Maybe different browser use, do's and don't in webdesign? and porting to a mobile size.
That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks for the advice. I feel like that would go within my general discussion as the curriculum progresses. For example, when I mention negative margins, I'll definitely be mentioning this. This will probably be embedded in the CSS discussions the most.

I'm glad that nobody has any severe objections so far. Very reassuring.

Thanks fellas,

Louis

jessielam64

When I'm in web design, the only way i make is search online and study some videos in you tube.then compare my work to other work. one time I hired expert people to see or to study my work if its correct or not...what problem i do or if anything I done wrong.This is the way I make my work perfect.