web design career/help

tplinker

To begin with, I apologize if this is a redundant topic. Please forgive me :( :p
I am interested in becoming involved in web design, I imagine this is a feasible way to make a living granted one knows what one is doing, (which i dont). I was wondering if any of you could give me some pointers on whether going to school for web design etc... is worthwhile, where to begin my research, what programs to investigate/aquire. Any relevant information any of you provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. :)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
the general consensus is...

adobe photoshop for graphics
adobe dreamweaver for develepment (former macromedia product)

you ask whether going to school for web design/development is worth while. personally i would say yes, but it really depends on what sort of person you are. some people get a great deal out of it, others don't. however, either way it does look good on a resume to have a degree in your desired profession.

it is possible to make a living as a web designer or web developer, however, you should keep in mind that it is a highly competitive field with an abundance of people trying to make a buck. it requires a lot of work and dedication to really make a good living in this field.

many would also argue that web design is a form of art. i for one would agree. it does require a rather vivid imagination at times.

i would suggest you learn HTML and play with some graphics applications for starters. see if this is a field you really see a future for yourself in before you decide to spend any money on schooling or expensive applications that you might not need. sort of test the waters before you jump in with both feet.

good luck! :)