want to get into web design

Greentech

Hey everyone!

I am new to the game as you will find out. I want to start doing web design and wanted to know what tools do you recommend to me to use I.E dreamweaver and photoshop applications. Are there another descent site like them as i would prefer to pay less then when i feel ready the use them. Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this hope to hear from you soon.

Chris (Greentech)

Andrey Markin

Web design is a pretty general term. What kind of tasks are you going to perform? You'll definitely need Photoshop (or similar) for graphics and Dreamviewer (or similar) for html/css layout. Note that I mentioned "or similar", that's because these are the most popular, but not the only software for this kind of tasks.

netuser

1- Adobe PhotoShop CS3
2- Microsoft Frontpage
3- Microsoft® Expression®Web
4- Adobe Flash CS3
5- Microsoft Notepad
6- PHP Editor
7- Adobe Dreamweaver
8- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

For basic website Please visit www.coffeecup.com

and if you want the software in full version + for Free please let me know and i will send you the software keys.

thank you

BSmithTT

...what tools do you recommend to me to use I.E dreamweaver and photoshop applications. Are there another descent site like them as i would prefer to pay less then when i feel ready the use them. Any advise will be much appreciated...

Is this for your personal site(s)? or are you trying to freelance or start a business?

Depending on those answers, you get two different answers from me.

If you answer "for yourself only"... I say any wysiwyg editor you feel comfortable with. (Dreamweaver, frontpage, etc... even something like a wordpress or joomla install that has a wysiwyg admin panel)

For graphics, again for yourself... whatever you want to use. Online banner makers, visit in forums to get some struggling artist to make you a few things, use a template and edit it enough to make it more personal. For software... I always recommend Photoshop #1, but the learning curve to be "good" is steep. You can try an open source version called Gimp.

Now, if you answer "for others" (freelance/business), well,... You are doing it for others and they expect everything to be perfect, unlike something for yourself that can slide a little in this department.

First and formost: Learn solid html and basic php & javascripting. Don't depend on software to get it right. I personally don't use dreamweaver. But, ever other designer in our company does. I prefer not to have to fight with it and go back and fix bad code.

For graphics, BUY Adobe Photoshop. Open it up and hit the photoshop tutorials sites. Offer to do some free work for others. Join worth1000 and get your tail handed to you. Take the criticism and learn from it. Spend hours upon hours day after day learning to use the program well. (or hire a graphic artist :cool: ...)

Then you just need to learn how coding limits your design and visa versa.

I can put it to you this way. I've been a web designer for about 9 years. In the art and design field for about 12 years (and an "artist" since I could hold a writing instrument... about 28 years now)

With that said... I learn something new every single day. My photoshop skills grow every day. With every project and every problem comes a time for me to learn. I'm completely self taught and now do this every day working for a web design company (not freelance) and providing for my family at the same time.

Which ever you are doing this for (yourself or to make a living) I wish you luck in it.

nevweb

BSmithTT,

Your post hit the nail on the head, and has inspired me to look into web design as a home based business - I approached 2 local website design firms, regarding the website where i work. They were both going to get back to me with proposals - that was nearly 3 months ago.

I have since decided to have a crack at it myself, digging up my old HTML skills from days gone by, given my IT background. I'm working on the website and will post a link on here for all to see once I'm done - look forward to your comments and criticisms.

Following on from your post, I know a bit about HTML and am using Javascript on the site for work....WYSIWYG is not a true web design method. What about Cascading Style Sheets - a must for any designer. Agree on Photoshop. What about Flash? Or has the flash bubble burst? For slideshows and things, I prefer Javascript anyway.

My only suggestion for others wanting to get into this area, install a few web browsers on your PC to test pages on - don't just work with IE - there's a lot of folk using Firefox and Opera just as examples. Test your websites in multiple browsers!

My 2 cents....

nevweb

kiko_friendly

I use Adobe Photoshop, Notepad and Filezilla. That's all. :) Pretty low budget, really. Haha! Filezilla is free, and Notepad comes with near all PCs. Photoshop is somewhat expensive but if you want to make animation, it has an awesome integration thing with Adobe Imageready. :)

Apparently Adobe Illustrator and Gimp are quite good, though cheap!