Want to build Windows XP Web Server - advice needed

chris2922

I've just bought a domain name, and would like to build an Apache web server and host a website for it on my own network.

I have a PC that currently acts as a media server. It holds a large amount of Video on it that my Xbox 360 streams downstairs using Windows Media Connect 2.0. It also runs a Java powered Bit Torrent client to download more video. It sits running those 2 services quite happily, but only has a P4 with 256mb RAM so cant manage a lot more than that!

Is this a suitable machine to run a webserver on? Im just not sure how much processing and memory strain a Web Server adds to the O/S so have no idea.

I have an old Fujitsu Siemens XP machine with a fresh install of Windows on it that i could use instead. Its a Celeron with 256mb RAM but has nothing running on it at all.

If running an Apache web server wouldnt impact the performance of my media sever id probably use that - mainly to save the electricity id use running 2 machines 24/7.

chris2922

Im going to try and build a 'community' site for my friends and family (and anyone else who happens to want to join). I have a domain and a copy of dreamweaver 8, but thats as far as ive got at this point.

Key points:

Id like it to require regisration to log in. Where this forum allows guest reading but not posting, id like my site to require registration to get in.
Id like it to allow you to create a detailed personal profile, have a friends list and a message box allowing friends to communicate between one another directly.

Rather than run a forum front end, id like to simplify it - like the way Microsoft have with their Xbox 360 interface and Xbox Live.

Id also like to host an email server with web-based email reading and sending, along with a forum (like this one) and a news section that id update myself to begin with - but allow others to update in time.

To begin with though - id just like a login system, with a personal profile, friends list and messaging functionality. I expect ill bolt the other bits on later.

web67

"To begin with though - id just like a login system, with a personal profile, friends list and messaging functionality. I expect ill bolt the other bits on later."

the thing fitting it includes but is not limited to "joomla with community builder installed"

although same can be done with many other cms

it will be easy if u link to any specific site of which u want sort of clone

Last edited: