W3C Validation and SEO

Absolution

I personally never heard someone saying validation will affect SEO. I think search engines are looking for best content as opposed to well formed code. But designing your site such that it will validate, in an ideal world, should make it more compatible on future browsers (although most browsers try to be compatible with sloppy old code anyway).

Fireproofgfx

great share! I have been told by SEO Guru that your site should be validated for it have the best possible SEO outcome. But this helps me to rest assure that its not the end all.

Pheno

The only situation where non validation it will hurt your SEO is if the crawler bots can't access the content properly.

Frank

Validation indeed doesn't serve any SEO purpose, but the validator does serve two other purposes.

The first is that it is a selling point if your website is easy to maintain or take over by another webmaster (could be the client him/herself) because the code is free of errors and non-standard matters. Second, if you have a problem you know that it is not due to a code error, which can save you a lot of time.

And what's so hard about writing code that validates? After all, the several doctypes allow for just about anything, and validation can be done under any registered doctype.

Last edited:

hkjeffchan

As long as all the tag is correctly ended, the BOT should be able to index the content now. It is not relevant to SEO unless the tag is badly written.

plusoner

it may not serve any SEO benefit but honestly if someone is building a website for you it should be w3c compliant