W3C suggestion process

PapaGeek

Does anyone know if there is a way to propose suggestions to the W3C?

They are currently working on an enhancement for media queries. It gives you the ability to enable stylesheets based on the size of the media:

<link media='screen and (min-width: 400px) and (max-width: 700px)' href='vsb5.css' type='text/css' rel='stylesheet' />

I think this feature would be very useful if you could define a series of stylesheets and select a different one based on the width of the page. The problem is that the rel tag is set to stylesheet, so if the browser does not support this feature, "ALL" of the stylesheets would be active at the same time.

One way to do this would be if the min and max values would "override" the rel tag, changing it between "stylesheet" and "alternate stylesheet" based on the values. You could then define your default sheet as "stylesheet" and all the others as "alternate stylesheet". If the browser did not support the feature, only the default sheet would be active. If it did, and the width of the page was outside the default sheet's range, it would disable that sheet and find the alternate sheet with the proper range and activate it.

One sheet could go from 0 to 700, the next from 701 to 1005, and another from 1006 to infinity.

Does this sould like a good idea? And how would I get this info to W3C?

LouTheDesigner

Maybe we should make up a thread, where we all post limitations of certain software or code. This can maybe turn into a blog?

I have a billion suggestions for DW and Flash. All in all, I bet 60% of our posts just make IE look bad lol.

Just an idea,

-Lou